Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2015 17:00

Alienware 13 - BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE(9f) - ntoskrnl.exe

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I bought an refurbed Alienware 13. Windows 7 pro.  It arrived on 3/12.  After about 3 hours of general use, it BSOD'd in the middle of a youtube video: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. 

When I went to look for the dmp file, I found that there was already one in there from 2/20, aka before I owned it.  Uh oh.

Bluescreenviewer says ntoskrnl.exe is the culprit, crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+75b80

After this happened the first time, I rebooted and applied all the windows updates until it told me it didn't have any more updates for me.

It has BSOD'd with the same error on shutdown since then, but not every shutdown. Sometimes it gets hung up during shutdown and BSOD's, other times it shuts down normally.  I haven't had another instance of it blue screening during use (yet). *knocks on wood*

The BSOD error is the same, but the crash address is different since I applied all the updates: ntoskrnl.exe+74ec0

I have 5 dmp files, 1 generated before I owned this system, 4 generated in the last 3 days. 

I don't know how to fix this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2015 14:00

Update: it's still blue screening.  Same error msg.

Note: After it crashed again, I went to Control Panel>System and noticed that my Windows 7 installation wasn't activated. It said I had to activate it within 7 days. When I tried to activate it using the code that was already entered in the box, it said it wasn't a valid code. I entered the code from the label on the bottom of the laptop and that worked. I'm wondering if this refurb got half-assed and thrown in a box.

From advice on another forum I looked into the graphics drivers.  This led me to discover that the system isn't recognizing the Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M and is using the Intel graphics instead.  Nvidia control panel will only open on right click, and opening it found the 860M, but re-running the Windows Experience Index when it found the "new" hardware crashed out.

I updated the Nvidia drivers using the driver detector on the Dell support website and now it finds the 860M in device manager, and the Windows Experience Index works, but the laptop is not using it, and 3rd party gpu finders (Speccy, GPU-Z) either crash out or find the Intel card instead.

I ran a full scan with Alien Autopsy, and it says everything is fine and dandy, but it's not finding the 860m either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  [:#]

1 Message

April 9th, 2015 13:00

I too suffer from this problem and thus, tagging myself into this answer.  

No Events found!