Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2015 00:00

Alienware 13 - No touch pad configuration options- can't disable tap-to-click.

Just got my Alienware 13. Like all laptops, it comes with tap-to-click enabled on the touchpad, which I hate. There is no Synaptics control panel where I can change my settings, and the Alienware 13 does not appear to have the "Alien Touch" application, so I do not have any way to turn off the tap-to-click behavior.

When I look in Device Manager, I see two "HID-compliant mouse" entries and one "PS/2 compatible mouse" entry, and all three use Microsoft drivers; not the Synaptic touchpad driver.

How do I get the ability to change my touchpad settings?

March 23rd, 2015 11:00

Thanks for replying. My computer does not have any icons or control panels for the touchpad anywhere in the Windows 8 desktop environment- even after installing the Synaptic drivers from Dell's Alienware 13 downloads page.

I have concluded that my laptop does not have the same touchpad microcontroller that most other Alienware 13s seem to have. Perhaps it's a recent change on the motherboards? I don't even believe it's a Synaptics part at this point.

In any case, I was finally able to disable tap-to-click by using an OS feature that's only available in the Windows 8 "Modern/Metro" environment. I documented my solution here.

215 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 10:00

Since I typically do not use it, I turned it off.    I do this by clicking on the small arrow (not sure what it's called) on the bottom right corner.   One of those icons is for the Touchpad.  At least for me it is.   You can turn it off there.   If not, it may be you need to download the driver for the touchpad from the Dell's support site using your Service Tag Number.  Hope this helps.

215 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 12:00

I should have asked which Windows you had.  I do have Win 7.  Sorry about that  Glad to see you found a solution.

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 12:00

I have the same problem with touchpad, but instead to disable tap-to-click I want to use/enable two finger scroll for which I need probably Synaptics tab in the mouse settings. I installed latest drivers from support.dell.com and Synaptics driver page, but in Device manger there is no Synaptics touchpad.

I hope someone has solution for this problem, otherwise I'm thinking to return laptop.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2015 21:00

I have had the same problem since I got mine in December.  I'm still waiting for dell to do something to fix it.  I went back to using my old 17.  My 13 has become a very expensive paper weight.

No Events found!