Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2017 20:00

Alienware 13 R3 cursor stutter when opening applications

Hey guys,

My cursor has been stuttering momentarily when opening applications. For instance, if I'm trying to open the power information in the taskbar, my cursor is completely stationary while loading, then jumps instantly to the position where I was trying to move the mouse. It's acting as if the CPU is being overloaded when opening applications, but when I look at the task bar while opening apps, it's nowhere near 100% utilization and I'm still getting the stuttering. I have two PCIe drives, 16gb of RAM, and a 6300HQ, so the speed of my hardware shouldn't be a problem here. It's odd that I can play games on very high settings without any cursor stutter at 70-80% CPU usage, but it's having trouble while opening things that shouldn't be taxing the system too hard. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Does this also happen when you use an external mouse. If you have not tried that, please do so to confirm if the issue is fact related to the CPU usage. Also, are you running the latest Bios version for your system?

1 Message

January 3rd, 2017 11:00

I am having the same issue with my 13 R3. It also happens when I am closing applications. I am using a wireless mouse (Logitech G900). I'll have the top spec BTO version with i7, OLED screen, 32GB Ram and the 1TB SSD. Additionally I was wondering what the refresh rate is of the OLED screen?

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 15:00

It happens with both the trackpad and an external mouse. My BIOS is 1.01.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2017 14:00

Thank you, send us your Service Tags in a PM so we can look into this.

1 Message

February 18th, 2017 23:00

I am also having this same problem with the newest Alienware 13 R3 7700HQ with 32gb RAM, OLED screen, and 512gb SSD.  The problem is the same with a wireless mouse, the built in trackpad, and a wired external gaming mouse.  It happens when switching between applications, with opening or closing most applications, when an application is under heavy load, and sometimes will happen over and over again while the computer is initially booting up.  I am running Bios 1.03 and all of my drivers are up to date.  I did a complete system-wipe and clean install of Windows 10 from an external USB drive, which did not improve the problem.  For the most part, once a game is up and running for several minutes the problems ceases to be an issue.  This has been very frustrating though, because I've purchased one of the most decked-out systems available, and my 2 year old desktop with a 4791k I7, 16gb RAM, and a GTX 770 actually runs smoother most of the time.  I have considered returning my device, but I'm worried about the restocking fee I'll likely be charged.  Should have waited for it to become available on Amazon I guess.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2017 01:00

My CPU completely failed after trying to reinstall Windows at the instruction of the Alienware techs. I returned my system for a full refund under warranty and bought a Macbook Pro instead. Apparently my CPU had serious issues, even though it never showed up in diagnostic or stress testing. I would seriously consider the possibility that your problem is a hardware issue and not a software issue.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

Same problem here I'm afraid. Brand new, just received today, booted up and noticed the cursor lag/stutter immediately. I can't pinpoint what it is, so hopefully someone in this thread will come up with a solution. Would hate to think I needed to send my brand new laptop back on day one!!

79 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

Does it also stutter when you clcik on the battery ? Alot of times it stutters when video cards switch from intel to nvidia or vice versa, also a MAIN ISSUE THAT CAUSES STUTTERING is the ALIENWARE SOUND CENTER, disable it and exit the program, YOUR COMPUTER WILL run SMOOTHLY then ! If you still have the windows installed that came with the pc i recommend you install a fresh coly of windows from microsoft

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 07:00

Hi, Yes, it specifically stutters every time I click the battery icon. Every time. You would think there would be some fix possible from Alienware if it is a known issue switching between video cards. I assume other laptops switch without any such problems?

The other times it stutters seem random enough, but generally just when using the Windows interface, changing settings, opening folders, etc etc.  I will try disabling the the Alienware Sound Center as suggested and see if that helps. I am reluctant to reinstall Windows as I have read elsewhere that this doesn't appear to solve the problem and it will take me a long time to set everything back up.

79 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 08:00

The battery stutters on all alienware laptops, and all the stuttering you are experiencing are the same accross all alienware Laptops. When i disabled the alienware sound center ofcorse along the clean install of windows my pc is running smoothly, if your computer stutters when you try to run a game or a software its normal becuase the computer is switching video cards.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 11:00

I wouldn't mind the odd stutter if it were just when launching a game or specific software like you say, but this is just performing very basic Windows tasks, something I will be doing a lot on this laptop as I didn't buy it JUST for gaming.  It is very frustrating for such an expensive laptop to do this. I have disabled the Sound Center and it has made no difference unfortunately. Followed lots of other tips I have seen online, but the problem persists.

79 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 14:00

Install a clean copy of windows 10

March 18th, 2017 00:00

Tried this out and yes, it's the sound center that causes these stutters. Exiting it immediately stopped the issue.

It would be good that Dell works on this software issue.

Edit: my bad, I thought it was solved but it's stuttering again even with sound center uninstalled... It does not happen in game (hopefully) but it's very annoying anyway.

1 Message

March 30th, 2017 20:00

Hey guys here what worked for me even to improve the web browsing experience: Search in google for the Intel HD Graphics 630 but specifically    win64_154516.4627  but first uninstall what you have then restart and install this on. At the end of the installation it may say is not the appropriate driver but it works wonder at least for me. Let me know your results (Do the test clicking on the battery icon). Follow my youtube channel   Jongcruzny   for a full review of this Alienware 13 r3 coming this next week.  

May 13th, 2017 00:00

After reading a lot of stuff I discovered that the stutteringis not due to any dell/alienware app. In fact it is due to the optimus technology in windows 10 (other versions of windows do not seem to be affected).

Everytime you open a program optimus must check if it should be opened with the integrated graphics or with the dedicated one. During this check all the OS is like "frozen" ...

I lowered the impact by choosing the dedicated graphic card as default graphic card in the nvidia control panel settings. It's not magical but it does help a bit. I just wish Microsoft, Intel and nVidia could work together to adress this issue.

No Events found!