Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2015 04:00

Alienware 13 permanently disable integrated graphics

Hello,

I recently got an Alienware 13 that I am planning to use for my research. Due to the nature of my experiments I need to have the Nvidia graphics working constantly. Is there a way to completely disable the integrated chip, preferably from the bios? If not from windows 8.1

Thank you in advance.

Lazaros.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2015 16:00

Ok I tried to disable the integrated one from windows device manager. It works but then the HDMI output does not recognise any monitor or the Oculus that I am connecting on it. So, I had to enable the integrated again.

Just for information on anyone else wondering

727 Posts

January 16th, 2015 10:00

You can disable the iGPU in device manager, under display adapters.

Or you can set everything to high performance (battery plan and Nvidia control panel).

• 

2.7K Posts

January 16th, 2015 11:00

Yes you can try that however the discrete card is not hard wired to the displays so no matter what you do the integrated will always control the output.

727 Posts

January 16th, 2015 14:00

If you get the amplifier, then you can bypass trying to use the iGPU. However, you may not be able to use the GTX 860m (something we've been trying tof igure out, hence the sticky thread about the GA above).

From the 13's BIOS screens I've seen (I still don't own one), there's no option to do what you wish. 

Even if the iGPU is doing the display, the GTX 860m should be doing the work if you do what I advise (you can test this out if you have the 13 now). I suggest getting a GPU monitoring software like GPU-Z to confirm if the GTX 860m is working in full-motion.

4 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I am on it now I will try and post back any answers.

4 Posts

Thank you for the quick reply,

Is there an option to do that in BIOS? as far as I can see no, but some times there are hidden options.

Could you confirm that there is/there is not such option.

And to move this question forward. If I acquire the amplifier do I bypass that restriction? Or am I still restricted from the integrated one?

Lazaros.

1 Message

February 12th, 2016 02:00

Have you test this with thunderbolt out (with an adaptor thunderbolt/HDMI)? Maybe it will be possible to bypass the intel integrated card... It could be the solution for 3dtv play and optimus.... (sorry for my english)

ciao

No Events found!