Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2017 18:00

Alienware 13 r3 Video Card Driver Issues

I have a brand new Alienware 13 r3 with a 1060 and 7th gen i7.  I can not upgrade the video drivers from the NVidia site, at install it says no compatible device found.  The only drivers that work are from the dell site and they are very outdated.  Any ideas on how to make the upgrade?

here is my error...

5 Posts

January 25th, 2017 20:00

@ Fantomn,

The new drivers released last night work correctly.  I have installed and bench marked the laptop and it is now performing as it should have from day 1.

2 Posts

January 21st, 2017 21:00

I'm having the same problem with a new i7-based 17 R4.  I called tech support and they couldn't help me.  In fact, the tech suggested I get a refund.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi,

New drivers from NVidia with 7th Gen Processors are not installing because this new motherboard from Alienware has a different Hardware ID. In the next driver release from NVidia the issue is going to be fix.

January 23rd, 2017 20:00

this is not related to your issue but are you able to disable the gpu by pressing FN + F7? on the 6700hq oled version a message pops up saying it doesnt support it. Im thinking of getting this version.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 21:00

So what you are telling me and your other customers is that Alienware/Dell intentionally released and sold a sub-par product?  I find that a terrible business practice and your company should be ashamed.  I did not spend 2k+ on a cutting edge laptop to be told I have to wait to be able to use it.  I would have been much happier to have waited the extra time and received a functioning laptop.

Shame on you!!!!

January 23rd, 2017 22:00

random question. are you able to disable the gpu with FN + F7?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 24th, 2017 07:00

gooding98,

The computer does work. In our website, we have all the certified drivers for the computer, and as you know for a driver to be certified engineering will need to test it. nVidia hasn't posted the update, which I'm sure will be done soon. You may also modify the INF file to add the HWIDs manually. There's no subpar product here, just a line of code that needs to be added by nVidia to their drivers for them to acknowledge the new configurations.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2017 08:00

yes.  Laptop functions correctly but you can not update video driver.  On another note, I tested the 1050ti driver from dell and it installs.  Performance seems to be worse then the original but it is a step in the right direction i suppose.  I am not sure how that driver has the correct hardware ID but the 1060 driver does not.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2017 08:00

AW_Eimy,

Just an FYI,  I don't think you guys know what each other is doing.  I have resolved the issue for the time being using the 1050ti drivers for the AW 13 r3  as this driver DOES have the correct hardware ID associated with it, it doesn't perform to 100% but it is a good start.  I don't understand on why, I as a consumer needed to figure this out.  Do your engineers not talk to each other?  How can you say it is not a sub-par product when you release something that does not have current drivers or software ready for it?  Why not wait on releasing or shipping until Nvidia has white-listed the drivers?

2 Posts

January 25th, 2017 19:00

You are correct, it works if I want to browse the internet. However it doesn't if I want to play Battlefield 1 or any other game that requires a driver newer than 396.59 which BTW are over 6 MONTHS OLD!!!!!!!! ***. Do not make me regret buying another Alienware. My last laptop was a Razer, the one before that was Alienware and if it were not for the OLED screen on this oneI would never had bought another one. I was hoping you had changed. Since Nvidia just posted new drivers yesterday I would bet we are a month or so out from gaming on this machine.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2017 21:00

Thank You

No Events found!