Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2017 19:00

Alienware 13 r3 factory image

My Alienware 13 r3 came with a bad ssd so I got another under warranty. It had windows files on it but it failed when trying to install. I installed the windows ISO file from the Dell Alienware drivers website for my laptop but it's the same exact windows as the ISO up for download on microsofts website. I'm hoping somebody could reset their 13 r3 laptop and make a backup to send me if it's not too much trouble. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hi, 

If you need the system drivers or Alienware applications, you can download them from this link. There is also an "installation order" option in case you are not sure which to install first. Let us know if you have any questions. 

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 11:00

I'm having the same issue. After the an engineer-on-site replaced a part in my Alienware 13 R3 the reinstalled Windows 10 from the support site it was not the same what was installed before. I recived the laptop with a different type of Windows 10.  I also would like to get a link for the original recovery Windows 10 image if possible.

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 21:00

Drivers aren't the problem. The problem is that the windows up for download on the driver site is not the same windows that came with the laptop

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 22:00

DruidFluid wrote:

Drivers aren't the problem. The problem is that the windows up for download on the driver site is not the same windows that came with the laptop

What makes you say that? Maybe it doesn't have some Alienware logos in a few places. But trust me, that's all Alienware did to it (other than what is already stated in this thread ... Themes and what not).

Alienware 17 R4 Dell Stock Image Recovery Restore 

Use the downloadable Dell .ISO or I prefer the copy you create at microsoft.com. Pick Home, Pro, etc. If it matches your invoice (and the version you used to have installed), it will match the serial in BIOS and Activate after install finishes.

August 9th, 2017 05:00

Hey,

Email me your address and I'll send you something, not sure it will work but worth a try.

How big is the SSD drive?

3 Posts

August 10th, 2017 19:00

256 GB Toshiba SSD. Could you upload it here? 

August 11th, 2017 01:00

Well what I was going to do didn't work. I spoke to soon, sorry. Not sure how to upload it here either. 

One thing you could do is order the recovery media from Dell. I got mine for $19.99. 

I would reset mine but not sure how to make a back up copy, and not sure how I'd get it to you and my R3 as the 512GB SSD so I'm not sure it would work since you have the 256GB?

Ordering the recovery media might be your only hope.  

3 Posts

August 11th, 2017 12:00

Where can you order that copy? Also which I can download from the Dell support site with my service tag it's different what I previously had on my SSD. Could you make a copy of your recovery partition?

August 11th, 2017 15:00

I ordered my copy of recovery media off the Dell web sight. Type in Dell in your search engine, look for the link that says Dell United States official site. And below that look for contact and chat on line. Chat with a sales rep. That's what I did and they sold me recovery media. $19.99

I don't think a copy of recovery partition would work because it will contain the license key to my computer and it won't work for your computer.

I guess you could get the license key from your computer and then change license key after you used the recovery partition. Don't know if it would work.

And how would I get it to you? I could maybe try to upload it to google drive and get you the link, not sure if The forum would allow that or not. Then you could download it, but then you'd have to make a bootable copy of it. Unless you can some how put it on your laptop use it from with in your laptop. And mine's a 512GB SSD with Windows 10 Pro, is yours Pro?

Don't know... seems like a lot of trouble and it might not work. Recovery media seems like a good solution.

I am sending my Alienware back for a replacement because it's not functioning right. At first they tried to fix it by reinstalling the OS and drivers but that didn't work. So right now I don't have the original way it came, so copy the recovery partition off this one does you no good.

But when I receive the new laptop, if you still want, I'll copy the recovery partition and upload it to google and put the link in this forum.

Sent from Corbin's Computers iPhone

No Events found!