Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2013 15:00

Alienware 14 Chirping Noise

I recently received my Alienware 14 laptop and everything appears to be working fine except that I can hear an intermittent chirping noise coming from this laptop.  Anyone know what could be causing this?  Is this a problem I need to contact support about?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 14th, 2013 01:00

Hi MW@,

Please pay attention and check from which part of the system the chirping noise is coming from.

Try running the hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed, please refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/162eS7m

You can also run the hardware diagnostics by pressing the Fn + power.Let us know if there is any error code listed.

10 Posts

October 15th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for your reply.  I ran the diagnostics as you instructed.  Everything passed.  The noise appears to come from the right side of the laptop close to where the optical drive is although it is hard to tell exactly.  Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi MW@,

Thanks for the update, please update the BIOS using the link below.

http://dell.to/13EVLww

In this link punch in the system service tag or express service code, under the BIOS category select the latest BIOS and install it in the system. Connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system until it restarts after the update. Once the BIOS is updated check if the issue perisits.

10 Posts

October 16th, 2013 09:00

I used the link you provided and when I selected BIOS in the operating system filter, nothing was listed to select.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2013 10:00

"The noise appears to come from the right side of the laptop close to where the optical drive is..."

When a CD is inserted, does the chirping stop?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi MW@,

There are different models in the Aienware 14, please send me the system service tag or express service code through this private chat.

Click on my username select start a private conversation and send me the details.

Please refer to the link below where to locate the service tag or express service code.

http://dell.to/162b3za

Once I get the information I will provide you the right driver.

10 Posts

October 17th, 2013 13:00

The system chirps with or without a DVD inserted.

10 Posts

October 17th, 2013 13:00

I sent you my service tag in a private email.

Thanks.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi Chris,

sorry to bump in! Since your question was pretty direct like you already know what the problem may be, and since I read tons of posts where you were discussing about the strange "reading" sound (with no cd/dvd inserted) coming from the ODD, I was wondering...Did anybody come up with a solution?

I am a happy owner of the ALIENWARE 14 (2013 model) but since the beginning (August) I noticed the strange "forced check" sound. I had the Alienware driver disc inserted since day 1, kept it in for a couple of weeks, so I didn't notice the strange sound right away.

It's Like if running applications (related or not to the ODD) prompt it to check for the presence of discs.

Yesterday night I experienced an evolution of the issue while trying to import some music from a CD using iTunes (and other softwares also). iTunes will start importing the tracks but will randomly stop to eject the disc during the process. No need to mention that off course I tried to import the same CD using my old laptop and another desktop I have at home, no problems were reported then.

Thank you in advance for your time!

3 Posts

October 18th, 2013 06:00

Thank you Chris! I'll let you know something as soon as I do it!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 18th, 2013 06:00

AdamJP,

Start with the basics, reinstall the two Intel Chipset drivers and then the On Screen Display driver from the Alienware 14 page. Restart after loading each one. Also read through the Alienware 14-R1 page found here.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2013 18:00

Hi  Chris,

I installed again chipset drivers from the page you linked me (there were 4 of them)

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/alienware-14

plus OS screen display, but nothing changed.

Since i've read about somebody saying they were able to fix it by unplugging the wire connecting the ODD to the motherboard and plugging it in again i tried, and after switching the computer on there were no strange sound and I was even able to import a full CD (not using iTunes but a different software that wasn't working yesterday).

Unfortunately it worked for that CD only, after trying with iTunes just to be sure it was actually fixed, it started all over again. Strange sound and CD import abort issue, both with itunes and the other software I just used...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 19th, 2013 06:00

Contact Support for your country and get the ODD exchanged.

No Events found!