Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2015 14:00

Alienware 14 - PC restart and crush when i try to install intel graphics driver

Hi i reinstalled my os using the windows 8 CD from dell and when i try to install intel hd graphics driver, pc restart and then windows crush. I also cannot install nVidia graphics driver because i need to install intel one first.

February 9th, 2015 12:00

Hello purple397,

Thanks for ur advice and i solve the problems by opening the laptop again and clean the dust (not much) and disconnect the CMOS battery. 

Now i can use my laptop normally except some programs (especially games) crush and exit automatically.

Alienware is good when playing the game but durability is weak especially graphics cards. I will never buy dell again. Also I disappointed the customer support. I contacted more than 5 times in my life and disappointed every-time. So sad. :( 

Hope my answer and experience help the others.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 7th, 2015 14:00

This is the (important to follow) proper driver install order after Windows clean install.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/536193?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=

Personally, I would skip the BIOS update if your laptop isn't under warranty.

When you get to the video card driver steps ... in might be Intel before NVidia ... but I thought it was NVidia first (I remember it because it always seemed backwards to me).

February 7th, 2015 16:00

Thanks a lot for ur help Tesla1856. :) I still get same problem when i try to install intel graphics driver and windows crush and cannot even boot the windows. :( Also i cannot install nVidia driver first, it show a message that i need to install intel one first.

166 Posts

February 8th, 2015 16:00

There is a time, when you first boot up the computer that the screen goes black, and stays black for several minutes while the drivers install.   This can be compounded if your computer has an active internet connection and starts downloading other things.   Surprisingly, the computer can have an active internet wireless, which it might start on its own.  

To install drivers when the normal Windows is not working, you need to get into Windows "Safe Mode."  Windows Safe Mode starts without the Video drivers being used.   To do this, when you first start the computer, before you enter the Password.   Hold down the shift key, and from the power Icon, choose restart.   Hold the shift button down until you get into the other options for start up. 

Some interesting stuff there.   Be careful what you start.  

Do not use M$ update to get Video drivers.  Get Video Drivers from either the Dell Site, or Nividia.   My experience is, do not update Video Drivers, unless you desperately need some feature, speed that they supposedly have.   

Please let us know how it goes, your experience can help others.

No Events found!