Highlighted

Alienware 14 Plugged in, not charging.

Ok, I'm at my wits end here. I have an Alienware 14, that just recently I've noticed won't charge above 24 percent. It just stays idle and says "Plugged in, not charging". If I unplug the power supply then reconnect, it will say charging for about 20 seconds, then back to plugged in not charging. Turn it off and leave it overnight, I come back in the morning to 24% charge. Here is a list of everything I've done so far to troubleshoot this, in no particular order:

Uninstalled/Re-installed drivers.
Updated BIOS.
Reset BIOS configuration.
Reset Power Plan configurations.
Opened Desktop Mode and clicked "Charge to 100%".
Disabled Desktop Mode.
Performed a power drain. (Disconnect power, disconnect battery, hold down power button, reconnect)
Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.
Ran AlienAutopsy battery scan, came back clean.
Ran ePSA scan, came back clean.
Swapped power supplies with my girlfriends identical power supply, same issue.

On a related note, my girlfriend has the same exact laptop, except she has the i7 and I have the i5. She is having no problems, and I bought hers about 5-6 months before I purchased mine. I'm 6 months out of my warranty. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Alienware 14 Plugged in, not charging.

Hi, 

It appears like you have tried all of the recommended troubleshooting procedures for this type of issue. Since you tried an identical AC adapter and the same issue occurred, I would say it’s probably an issue with the motherboard. We have repair services that you can purchase, click here to view the contact numbers for assistance on that.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

So I have this supposed high-end laptop for under two years, I'm six months outside of my warranty, and now I need to replace the entire motherboard? Is this some kind of joke? What the *** kind of quality is that???

Where would I find the part number for said replacement?

0 Kudos

We are only trying to help you as best we can. Sometimes hardware may fail and this is something that can happen with any computer, no matter the price or quality. We think the issue could be the motherboard but its probably best to send it in for repairs so our technicians can diagnose and fix the problem. 

Part # for Motherboard: 49J1R 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos