Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

August 15th, 2013 10:00

Alienware 14 confused between Windows 8 pro or Windows 7 ultimate

Hi guys,

Just received my new alienware 14 few days back with Windows 7 Home SP1(Korean Version).

Followings are my system specs

Core-i7 4700MQ
16GB RAM, 64GB mSata+750GB HDD(7200 rpm), 2GB Nvidia GTX 765M

As I don't know Korean(I bought the system from Korea, they only bundle Win Korean Version), I installed Windows 8 Pro.

1. All the drivers and Apps were working fine except, Alienware OSD. However, this didn't effect the function buttons but the "Switch Display(F1)" buttons, which pops the change resolution dialog whenver I hit Fn+F1. Windows+P combo was however popping the screen change option slider.

2. The performance seemed quite good but for the past few days the system sometimes slows down terribly. In the resource monitor the memory shows almost 100% used even if I close down all apps. If I restart the system sometimes the system starts perform normally but at times it remains the same.

I am not sure whether I should install Windows 7 Ultimate or stick with Windows 8.

Also, I'm wondering whether I have installed Windows 8 properly or not. Can anyone point me to some datapoints for Windows 8/7 clean installation with msata caching?

Thanks in Advance.

Nafis

2K Posts

August 15th, 2013 23:00

Hi Nafis,

Request you to refer the below answers for the questions you have posted in the previous response:

(1) You may use the below link to update OSD:

http://dell.to/1cRqtYu

(2) You may try running any cleaner software available in the market to clean all the junk files and temporary internet files. You may also use the below link to optimize the computer:

http://dell.to/18yR73A

(3) Both windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 are good. However, window 8 is the latest operating system so we would suggest you to continue with the same. You may want to use the below link to get a hands on windows 8:

http://bit.ly/180Yaof

You may also run a hardware diagnostics by using the below link:

http://dell.to/19uZPUQ

To get clean install assistance you may refer the below link:

http://dell.to/192dFKH

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 04:00

Hello Kiran,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually I am using all the updated drivers and applications from the official dell site. Still not getting the OSD app to work.

Already tried with H/W diagnostics from boot, but all of the tests pass, so it was to no avail :(

For clean installation of Windows 8, I need to know what should be msata+HDD RAID setup.

Another small update is, last night when I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate, couldn't install it with "SATA Operation" with "RAID" option from BIOS. But once changed to "AHCI", Windows installation went fine. However, after installation couldn't install IRST Driver and Haswell HD Graphics driver. Whenever I executed the setup, "Your System do not meet minimal requirement for this S/W to setup". And OSD App kept crashing. Btw, I followed the order of driver installation that came with the resource DVD.

Please let me know your comments and suggestions on these.

Best Regards

Nafis

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 04:00

Forgot to add, couldn't revert back to "RAID" option of "SATA Operation" from "AHCI". Windows 7 ultimate crashes(blue screen) just before login screen appears. WIth "AHCI" works fine, but then, can't use the msata caching if so :(

BR

Nafis

August 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi Nafis,

When you install Windows 7 using the AHCI mode you should not install the Intel RST because you're going to have this bluescreen issue. I would recommend you to install Windows 7 Ultimate, but that's a personal choice.

Checkout this article to install Windows 7 correctly.

The mSATA you got, 64GB, is used normally as a caching device for your RAID 0 configuration, so Windows should be installed on your RAID 0. Checkout this article on how to accelerate your system with the mSATA.

After installing Windows, let me know how everything goes.

August 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Nafis,

You're trying to compare the best version of each operating system. Checkout the following links from Microsoft:

Compare Windows 7

Compare Windows 8

You can also search in youtube for videos explaining both operating systems.

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Alexander,

Thanks a lot for your info. I reverted back to Windows 8 Pro for the time being. As I have already said that I want the best out of my rig. So I was wondering if you could help me to decide which one should I opt for, Windows 8 pro or 7 Ultimate, Performance and User experience-wise. It would be great if you can lead me to some comparison between these 2. I have searched on the internet, but didn't get anything specific to my system. As an Alienware expert you could definitely point me to the right direction.

I was also thinking about using IRST driver during Windows 7 installation. Thanks a lot for the confirmation :)

BR

Nafis

No Events found!