Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2013 15:00

Alienware 14, downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7?

Does anyone know how to get a copy of windows 7 pro for a downgrade?  Dell enjoys to make it ultra hard to get the software that you need or want. 

763 Posts

Does anyone know how to get a copy of windows 7 pro for a downgrade?  Dell enjoys to make it ultra hard to get the software that you need or want. 

Maybe you are not talking to the correct person. I think Alienware Tech Support can assist you with this. Have you tried calling 1-800-ALIENWARE and telling them what you want?

Understanding Downgrade Rights | Microsoft OEM Partner Center

Steps to downgrade Windows software

To downgrade Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 software, customers must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
  • Accept the End User Software License Terms.
  • Perform the downgrade or authorize a third party to perform it on their behalf.

The downgrade process

Follow these steps to downgrade to a previous version of Windows software:

1. Obtain genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade.
    • The media should come from a prior legally licensed version from the OEM or retail channels.
    • Qualified OEMs have the option to distribute downgrade media and product keys directly to end users, per end user request.
    • End users who are licensed separately through Microsoft Volume Licensing (VL) may provide their VL media and key to a system builder to facilitate the downgrade on their own systems.
  2. Insert the downgrade-eligible version of Windows media in the CD/DVD drive or USB port and follow the installation instructions.
  3. Enter the product key and activate the software.
    • If the software was previously activated, you will not be able to activate it online. In this case, the appropriate local Activation Support phone number will be displayed. Call the number and explain the circumstances. When it is determined that the end user has an eligible Windows license, the customer service representative will provide a single-use activation code to activate the software. Please note that Microsoft does not provide a full product key in this scenario. 

Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know | PC World

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads | Windows 7 Forums

Using downgrade rights seems like a lot of hassle to me. Assuming you have a valid product key, the drama-free method is to simply download an ISO from the above link for the version of Windows 7 that corresponds with your key. If you do not have one, you will need to obtain one from Alienware or buy one from Microsoft. Using an OEM product key you may have to do activation by phone, but it's not a big deal. It only takes a few minutes.

1.2K Posts

windows 8 pro has downgrade rights ..... but  other then that  u will need to purchase it...

there is plugins u can download that makes windows 8 just like 7... I did this till I got use to windows 8.. regardless I still hate windows 8 but u can also you get use to it

No Events found!