Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2015 13:00

Alienware 14 mSata and hdd set up question

I want to put a new mSata in my AW14 so I can put the OS on it, and have the 2nd hdd as a place to put big program files and data (mostly Steam games), along with music, picture, etc. storage.

Do I have to do anything special in the bios and/or configure it to raid? Any help or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 28th, 2015 16:00

Hello Alman, 

In the Bios set the SATA mode to “AHCI” first. After this you can proceed to install Windows. When you get to the part where it asks where you want to install Windows, make sure to delete the partitions for both of the drives showing.

Proceed by physically removing the 2nd HDD (not the Msata) and then select the Msata as the drive where you want to install Windows and continue with the installation. After the Windows installation has finished and you are in your desktop screen, you can insert the 2nd HDD again.

Once you have done this, you would need to assign a drive letter to the 2nd HDD so you can access it accordantly. Click here to view an article from Microsoft explaining how to do this in Windows 7 (it is very similar for Windows 8 as well).

Please let me know if this works. 

No Events found!