Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2014 16:00

Alienware 14 ram upgrade won't work. Need help finding 16gb ram upgrade.

So this just came in the mail today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231582&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_- 

I installed them in my 14. Turned it back on and got the 2 beep ram not recognized. Are these not compatible or are they defective?

901 Posts

June 6th, 2014 23:00

Use one of your old modules that you know works with one of the new ones to see if you can findout if one of the new ones is faulty.

Make sure you push them in quite firmly and listen for the two clicks from the retaining clips

It sounds like one of them is faulty, that RAM should work no problems in an alienware 14

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-14_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

1.8K Posts

June 9th, 2014 12:00

Hi possob1,

Where you able to determine if there's a faulty memory module?

3 Posts

June 9th, 2014 14:00

Well I followed the comment above you for advise, and I put it one at a time with a stock 4gb memory module. That still didn't work. So I returned my gskill ram today back to newegg. And Im about to buy some compatible RAM. Could you possibly recommend 16 upgrade for me between 140-175 bucks?

I was looking at this RAM even though it is a bit pricey.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/alienware-14/CT4415217

901 Posts

June 9th, 2014 19:00

Hi again, I just notice what model your laptops is - It's a Alienware 14, correct?

The reason the last RAM you purchased did not work is because the new Alienware laptops use low voltage RAM, so when you order make sure you ask for the new low voltage RAM modules

3 Posts

June 9th, 2014 20:00

Oh alright. Does it say that in the description of the ram? "low voltage". If you could show me an example of ram that has the description of low voltage it would help me out. Thanks again for the advice.

No Events found!