Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2014 19:00

Alienware 14 restarting when waking from sleep mode

Recently, whenever my Alienware 14 goes to sleep, whenever i press the power button (How i have always woken it from sleep mode) My keyboard will flash as if it was waking up, but then it turns off and the laptop goes through the reboot process.

I have no idea why it is doing this and i have tried disabling hibernation mode to see if that what was causing the problem, but unfortunately it has not fixed it. Why is this happening and how can i fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2014 16:00

Hi!

Try these steps:

• Update the BIOS to the latest version A08. You can download it here,
  • Perform a clean installation of the Video Driver as explained on this article.

Let me know how it goes!

March 21st, 2014 16:00

I tried both of those things, and unfortunately they did not work. Any other suggestions?

March 25th, 2014 19:00

about 3 weeks ago, just before the problem started, i took my laptop somewhere and was using it, and when i had to go, i closed the lid and put it in my backpack. About 30 mins later i heard my fan going, so i opened my backpack to check on my laptop, and i guess it never went to sleep and was still running, so i took it out and it was extremely hot. Do you think this could be the cause of the problem? Because ever since that, i have been having these issues. If you think this could be it, what would i go about doing to getting the problem fixed? Because a system restore is the last thing i want to do.

1.8K Posts

March 25th, 2014 19:00

I recommend you use System Restore or AlienRespawn to go back before the system started to have this problem. This will tell us whether it's a software or hardware issue.

1.8K Posts

March 25th, 2014 20:00

It's possible, but there's no way to be sure yet whether this is a software or a hardware issue.

The best way to rule out the software part is by doing the System Restore.

If you want to check hardware first, here are some other troubleshooting steps:

• Run an ePSA diagnostic. 
  • Test the system on Battery only and then just with the AC adapter.
  • Check if it's overheating, you can use HW Monitor to see the temperatures. 

Let me know of any updates!

March 25th, 2014 20:00

For the system restore, is it going to wipe my whole system? Or just roll it back to how it was at the point i restore it to? And if it is a hardware issue, how would i go about fixing it?

1.8K Posts

March 26th, 2014 09:00

It'll just roll back to the restore point you choose (make sure it's before the problem started). If it's a hardware issue we need to find out first which part is causing it and check if it needs replacing. L

et me know the results after you complete the troubleshooting steps I sent you. 

No Events found!