Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2013 18:00

Alienware 14 will not play DVDs - at ALL

I just spent $1800 on a new Alienware 14 computer, and I am NOT happy.

The slot loading optical drive will play Blu-Rays.

It will NOT play DVDs. I can't find a firmware update, or anything. it is a Mashita UJ167 drive. It is set to Region 1/Region A.

While DVDs are not as important as they were a few years ago, I will not under any circumstances spend $1800 on a computer that is defective. If anybody has had a similar problem and knows of a solution, PLEASE help.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 09:00

Thanks

2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi jaboyle3875,

It is unfortunate that the DVD discs are not being played. Request you to let me know what happens when you insert the DVD disc. Do you get any error message or it just doesnt play?

You may also use the below link and run a MS Fixit:

http://dell.to/1517fLF

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 06:00

The Microsoft Fixit link above does not solve the problem.

As far as any error messages - no, I do not receive any. The included PowerDVD software just doesn't do anything aside from booting and identifying that there is a disc in there. 

HOWEVER - If I attach an external BD-R drive from Asus that I own, I can play a DVD just FINE.

So something is clearly wrong with the internal drive that came with my $1800 laptop.

2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi jaboyle3875,

Request you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   Click on start.

(2)   Right click on Computer and select properties.

(3)   Click on device manager from the left side of the screen.

(4)   Double click on CD/DVD option.

(5)   Right click on the device and uninstall it.

(6)   Now restart the computer.

Check if the issue is fixed. If not then you may use the below link and delete upper filter/ lower filter:

http://dell.to/1fIPTdj

Also try using different DVD discs and check if they work.

You may also use a bootable disc like operating system disc or recovery disc (F12 at startup and then select CD/DVD) and check if it works.

Do reply with your answers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

I'm sorry, I should have specified - DVD media reads, such as system recovery discs, etc. It will not play DVD MOVIES.

I will try your latest suggestions and report back.

October 2nd, 2013 10:00

Hello, take a look on a similar thread.
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19361241.aspx
It could be the PowerDVD version rather than the Optical Drive.
Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

Thanks, but that would not have applied in my situation - Windows Media Player wouldn't play the DVD either.

At any rate, it is working now - but still not 100% what was wrong. My situation ended up being corrected when I wiped the hard drive (as I wanted to put Win 7 Pro on it for work purposes)...as soon as I had patched everything and installed drivers, I put in the same DVD and it started to work.

So I'm guessing there was some obscure setting/driver/whatnot that was wrong, and a new OS install cleared it up. Maybe something less drastic might have fixed it, but at any rate it seems as though Dell might want to check into their QC when the machine is set up in the factory...no computer, let alone an $1800 premium one, should ship with such a glaring issue.

Still keeping it, though - love the machine now that it works 100%. 

1 Message

August 1st, 2014 11:00

Try downloading and installing cccp codac. try this website {www.cccp-project.net}

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 09:00

so how can you get it to play dvds is there a way

3 Posts

Thanks 1

3 Posts

166 Posts

December 5th, 2014 12:00

Sounds a bit goofy.  Put a music CD in, have Power DVD play it.   Then put a Regular DVD back in.   Power DVD is the default player, unless it somehow got changed, and gets confused  between some DVD's.   Although, it does not release the drive to play another type.   I have found that the music CD in between is recognized.  Whereas Blu Ray to regular DVD the thing gets stupid.

Might not be your issue at all.  Might be you started another Video Player, which has Windows confused about which type of DVD is in drive and which is the player.  

No Events found!