Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2015 15:00

Alienware 15 'K' key gets stuck when pressed all the way down

Howdy,

I'm having a small problem with my new Alienware 15 laptop. Two weeks after getting it I've noticed that the K key tends to get stuck when pressed all the way down. It basically remains in the pressed position and won't come back up unless I force it by inserting something like a needle under it.

In the limited time I've used the laptop I've not stressed this particular key at all (just looked over the key bindings of the games that I've played so far and the K key was not being used at all).

Any tips on what to do? I was thinking to get one of those compressed air cans and blow air under the key and see if that solves anything. I'm a bit afraid to take a screwdriver and remove it since who knows what I'm going to damage. I'd hate to have to send the laptop back just because one key is stuck and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks for any help.

327 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 13:00

compressed air is a good choice,  you can use a clean paint brush too ( in my case i use both to clean my lap) 

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 06:00

Bump!

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 14:00

Yeah, I was thinking of trying that. Going to get one tomorrow and give it a go. Hopefully that'll solve it.

327 Posts

June 27th, 2015 21:00

the compressed air solved your problem ? let me know if i can help you in something more :) 

4 Posts

June 28th, 2015 04:00

It's hard to tell whether it did anything. The key is still slightly broken but if I just type normally it won't get stuck, you actually have to deliberately push it very hard to get it stuck. I suspect it was broken from the beginning but I only noticed after two weeks because it's not a key I use often apparently. (I've actually typed 'k'  several times in this paragraph it's not stuck).

I'd say case closed for now, as it's a problem I can live with. :)

327 Posts

June 28th, 2015 10:00

i had the same problem as you, but with an Alienware m14x after 2 years of use. if you are carefully, you can repair it as i did. each key have 2 little metal claws adhered to the keyboard looking to opposite ways. Sometimes the metal claw twists a bit and the key can get stuck in place perfectly. I remove the key and with a epilator carefully twist the metal claw back in place, then put the key in place :) and problem solved

No Events found!