Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 22nd, 2016 08:00

Alienware 15 R3 questions

Dear forum,

My Alienware 14 is falling apart and I really want to look into purchasing a Alienware 15. However, I see there arent a a few options and I cant find any decent email support to post my questions.

- when will the Alienware 15 R3 with the G-sync screen/panel become available?

I am not interested in buying a Alienware 15 R3 with the current screen options because both are lacking G-sync compatability. (It is shown there will be a third screen available that will have this.)

- I saw the BIOS in a Youtube vid, I could not see any option for Intel XMP RAM.

Should I purchase a Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Kit of 16 GB at 2666MHz CL18 without XML or should I go with Kingston Technology HyperX Impact at 2400 MHz CL14 but with XML?

Also, in the new reviews it is said that the system becomes unstable when overclocking the overclockable i7 6820hk CPU. Will the BIOS will be updated for this issue?

- Same for the harddrives, I wont only replace the RAM but also the 1 TB HDD.

The basic HD in the Alienware 15 (I assume just like the RAM) will be slow, so I need to replace it as well. (It is said there are THREE slots for M.2 SSDs???)

- Purchase list: M.2: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD 256/512GB and I know I need to drop the Dell rpm HDD but I am not sure if I should go for a 1TB Seagate Laptop SSHD at 5400 RPM, a 750GB Seagate Momentum XT SSHD at 7200RPM or that new Firecuda 2TB HD?

- the new heatsink configuration apparently did not solve keeping the CPU cool, my main reason to buy the Alienware range products is because I could use these on my lap (hence LAPtop).

Is this new product still cool enough to use on my lap and should I fear overheating my CPU?

- With my current Alienware I noticed that updates for the Nvidea GPU went through the Alienware site and I could not use the Nvidea updater. The Alienware site did not update patches as quickly or often as Nvidea. Will this be the same with the new Alienware 15 R3?

I am a great supporter of Alienware, so please if you could advise me, thatd be great!

Kind regards,

327 Posts

October 24th, 2016 01:00

1) the AW 15 R3 have a G-sync option with the 1070 come as default, with a 1080p 120hz display

2) i would buy kingston hyper X. Have less lattency and commonly cheaper

3) the option in BIOS to overclock is not usefull, just dont use it. IS really easy to overclock using intel xtreme utility tuning ... just a few clics ...

4) yes, 3 slot for SSD and 1 for 2.5" HDD "7200rpm from factory" ( 2 of the SSD are m.2 2880 pcie) the other is smaller 2260. you can install the OS on the SSD and enjoy the full speed

5) amsung have the 960 pro and 960 evo and are better than 950 pro.

6) the heatsink is more than enought, in fact it make a really good job, the main problem of the CPU is that intel put too much voltage on this cpu ... the fix is making a simple undervolt with intel xtu, this not compromise performance; this only reduce the voltage used by the processor.

7) you are not going to have overheating of any kind, the thermal solution is amazing

8) i have an alienware 15 R1, you can download drivers direcly from nvidia. with the R3 you can do it too

9) the 15 R3 is an amazing machine, i recomend you the 1070 with 6820hk for future proof

2 Posts

October 24th, 2016 11:00

Awesome response, thanks so much!

1. Yes, the G-sync screen is now available for purchase, I see it now, 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled.

4) In regards to the HD, could you suggest which Hybrid SSHD would be one of the best (reliable/fast) fit?

6) Well, thats the biggest issue I have at the moment with purchasing a Alienware 15 R3. I am not much into overclocking and all I am reading is that the 6820HK is burning HOT, either because of higher voltage that doesnt fit the CPU or overclocking it cant handle, some are recommending buying the 6700HQ.

This is posing a serious problem for me, because I do not want to purchase a "downgrade" but if I am forced to because the system specs cant handle it.. I read you need to start intel XTU at startup to change the voltage, sorry but thats just too much steps for me to take just to make the CPU work properly.

Honestly, the 1070 with 6820HK was exactly what i wanted to buy, I'm going to keep checking Reddit.

Thanks again for the reply!

No Events found!