Alienware General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-18-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Alienware 15R3 Linux firmware bugs

Booting up my new Alienware I get a couple of firmware bugs relating to CPU, ACPI and ASPM (see attached dmesg output). Where do I have to turn with these in order to get them adressed?

Replies (3)
10 Diamond

You haven't Offended anyone.   I unzipped the file and then renamed it from .txt to .RTF then opened in word.  Otherwise it looks like this after unzipping.

Which is why I doubt anyone would have responded at all to your question.

ZIPJUNK

RTF UNIX TEXT

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

I'm sorry for not following the correct forum etiquette - I did not mean to offend.

I run Arch Linux on the mainline kernel (4.12-rc1), my linux-firmware package is dated 20170309 (and from a cursory glance at the commit history, it does not seem that anything has been added recently that pertains to my setup). I have the i7-7700HQ with an RX470 as dGPU. 

I'll try out the hint about diabling tsc deadline, but I think I'll pass on disabling ACPI and/or running kernel 3.10 - none of my hardware (CPU, GPU, wifi, nvme, thunderbolt3) would be supported by that .

Just out of curiosity - how would I correctly append an output like mine? Also, please see the bug report here.

10 Diamond

You didn't say what version or Build of linux.

The forum is not run by robots that unzip a file then make it readable and then quote back code adjustments via machine code.

Dell does not support Linux or Write Linux.

I would Suggest

Snip2Code - RTAI installation for ubuntu 14.04 

And

boot options:

• acpi=off
  • noapic
  • nolapic

disable the tsc deadline timer (lapic=notscdeadline)

[Firmware Bug]: TSC ADJUST differs: Reference CPU0: -1410873285 CPU1: 0

$ dmesg
[    0.000000] Linux version 4.12.0-rc1-mainline (gunnar@alien-arch) (gcc version 6.3.1 20170306 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 17 16:41:08 CEST 2017
[    0.000000] Command line: initrd=\intel-ucode.img initrd=\initramfs-linux-mainline.img cryptdevice=UUID=9efc9734-2965-440b-85f6-ebc4e1bfd35f:olvm:allow-discards root=/dev/mapper/alien-root rw loglevel=3 acpi.backlight=video

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions