Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2015 00:00

Alienware 17, Can't see secondary HDD in Windows

So I've had this new Alienware 17 for about 2 weeks now. I ordered it with 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Everything was working great until yesterday when the secondary HDD just seemingly disappeared... It's showing in the BIOS but not in Windows. Also, it's taking a long time (5 mins+) to boot up the laptop now... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• 

2.7K Posts

March 31st, 2015 15:00

You can try the following:

In the windows search box, look for disk management.

Over the grey out disk unite do a right click and select mount disk, that should make the unit been recognize by windows.

Let me know if this helps you.  

6 Posts

March 31st, 2015 15:00

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. The HDD isn't even showing up in Disk Management. It's really confusing to me how it shows in the BIOS but nowhere in the OS...

• 

2.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 17:00

Try the following:

-  Enter into the BIOS.

-  Go to the boot tap and disable secure boot.

-   Enable the legacy option.

-   Save changes and restart the system.

Let know if those steps help you fixing the issue. 

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 08:00

Unfortunately, this didn't work either. I can boot without secure boot without a problem, but enabling the legacy option causes the system to not even boot. I even tried going into the boot menu and booting directly from the SSD and it wouldn't let me. UEFI apparently has to be enabled in order for Windows 8 to boot on this system...

727 Posts

This may seem like a stretch, but do you see the HDD in device manager with a caution sign or something under "Disk drives"?

A bit odd that enabling legacy prevents booting. It may be due to how the SSD was formatted, but I'm not sure.

6 Posts

Only the SSD is shown in the device manager.

727 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 09:00

There's only three things to check, then (from what I can come up with).

1. System restore to the day before this happened. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an error with Windows itself rather than the computer.

2. Reflash the A02/A00 (or both) BIOS.

3. Check to see if the HDD is detectab;e on another computer or as an external hard drive.

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 13:00

1. I system restored back to the day I got the computer and that didn't work.

2. I just reflashed A02 as well. No dice.

3. I don't have a way to do this at this time but I'll definitely have to give it a shot ASAP. Will that void my warranty, though? I'm gonna need to read up on that before I dive right in, haha.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and try to help, by the way. This issue has been such a headache for me..

727 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 14:00

No warranty would be voided.

If it isn't a Windows issue, I would suspect there may be a problem with the SATA port. Just a guess. My only conclusion for that is the AW13 is affected by the same thing but with certain branded 2.5" SSDs . There are some differences, but the situation is similar enough.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2015 01:00

Flash and update your BIOS. If did that, re-flash your BIOS again and this should solve the problem. You can find the BIOS through downloads section in your device support page.

Cheers

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 00:00

Did you ever figure this out btw?  I'm in pretty much the same situation, same computer, same problem.  This happened before, but I believe a system restore fixed it last time.  No luck this time though.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 01:00

Just wondering if you have been able to come up with anything? I just got Alienware 17 Laptop and cannot view my HDD at all.  Been through all the above steps. 

6 Posts

July 23rd, 2015 15:00

I've been trying everything suggested and nothing has been able to fix the problem... I'm assuming I'm gonna have to buy a new HDD and see if that's what the problem is. Kinda crazy that multiple people are having the same exact issue with the same laptop though..

Edit: Sorry for such a late response. I've been away from the internet for a bit due to work.

1 Message

August 15th, 2015 08:00

I have the same issue with my 17r2 drive randomly appears and disappears luckily I don't use it for anything. I'd replace it with SSD if I needed more space.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2015 04:00

same as LuperAZ randomly appears every restart

No Events found!