Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 28th, 2015 21:00

Alienware 17 R2 - Heating

Hi, I've bought this Alienware 17 R2 3 months ago, but only these days I've started using it for long periods of time.

The first and main problem is that it gets very hot!!! my keyboard is literally burning my fingers at normal usage (i've checked the temperature on many sofwares, such as speedfan, WHMonitor and HWiNFO64 and it is 60 C only brownsing).

The second problem is that i cannot change the temperature, though I have tried every suggestion I saw on officials, such as update and downgrade of BIOS, many diagnostics which did not found anything wrong, and change fan speed (that is my third problem).

The third problem is that my machine does not allow changing of fan speed. Again, I've tried hard many programs, but none of them worked at all. I'm frustated.

Finally, the truth: as I mentioned above, I'm frustated with this laptop since i've paid about 2 thousand CAD. My fingers are sore and my hand is hot. I can't work properly because I have to type thousands and thousands of words on .txt files for many hours on this computer!

What can I do? I mean, What can you do for me?!

I hope that Dell can help me.

• 

2.7K Posts

May 29th, 2015 15:00

What are the temperatures of the video card and the processor when the system is idle and under stress?

May 30th, 2015 14:00

idle: 50 C
under stress: 60~80 C

normal usage (brownsing): 60 C

Actually I don't care much about these temperatures, I do care about the temperature my keyboard is reaching (because of my health). 
Can you help me not let to heat up the keyboard? (sry about my English)

June 1st, 2015 11:00

Well I've had heard that you need to raise it so the fans can work you can try that but i've got nothing else to say.

• 

2.7K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 13:00

The temperatures are normal; these systems run hotter than other systems so I will recommend using a cooling pad that way you will lift a little bit the system and the air will flow properly.

7 Posts

June 5th, 2015 21:00

I'm having the same problems as well on my 3 day old Alienware 17. What do you mean these are normal temperatures? I have a cooler and there is only so much it can do. While the Dell techinicians were coming up with this laptop did they forgot to test it? I mean, did they even touch it? I don't want to have to spend more money on replacement hands in case they get burnt off. This company is not fit to sponsor any MLG. What a cashgrab disgrace.

June 5th, 2015 22:00

I do have a cooling pad, and it is not resolving anything at all. Sorry, but I'm unhappy with my product (2015 Alienware 17)

June 5th, 2015 22:00

I recommend you to return your laptop. I havent found a solution to this heating issue.

327 Posts

June 5th, 2015 23:00

for all the people i am going to teach everybody how to fix this problem :)
i was having the same problem as you.
the problem was that you need to put something in the back of your lap to let your laptop bread. the heat produced by the RAM and the HDD pass through the keyboard. in my case i use the cheapest cooler of genius, is not necessary to use a cooler, you can use a solid object in the back.

as you can see, is a small cooler and you can carry it in your bag easely. 

now i have this temps while playing btf4 on ultra.
also i was not satisfied with my temps and i want to reduce it more, so i install Intel Xtu and made an undervolt, undervolting your cpu is safe and increase the life span of your cpu, the only problem is find a stable value. I am going to teach you what i do.
first, here is the application

second: for my experience i can ensure you that the speed of the processor does not make a big difference in gaming(cores do!), so i reduce a little bit the max turbo frequency from 3,5 to 3 in all cores mode (is just 0.5 Ghz)

just put the same values as me, and press APPLY. you don't have to push save or anything else.
making this you reduce the voltage and your battery will last more. mine last more than 7 hours while browsing.

and let's check the new temperatures while making a stress test

you will have this temps in the worst case!!! 100% cpu usage and 100% GPU usage. it's impossible but is for testing. and without turning on my cooler :S
and my keyboard is as cold as the palm rest = nothing :S. only the power button is a little bit warm
i hope this help everyone :) for me is PERFECT!

327 Posts

June 7th, 2015 22:00

I forget to say you that you will need to install BIOS A00, while the new BIOS A05 come to life

June 9th, 2015 10:00

I've done that. Although BIOS A00 did not solve the problem,  it helped a little.

Thanks

327 Posts

June 12th, 2015 01:00

for me worked very well !!! 

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 18:00

Hello, ive been having the same kind of heating problem, i basically have the same settings in the intel utility accept instead of the -dynamic cpu voltage offset, the closest setting i can find would be -core voltage offset. is this basically the same thing or should i worry my computer will stop working. 

i am new to this so sorry if this sounded like a stupid question. i want to know before i change something i shouldn't.. 

No Events found!