Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2015 23:00

Alienware 17/R2 OS not installed on SSD?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me with this, since I very much doubt dell 'tech' support will be able to do so without spending 6 hours on the phone with them. I just purchased an Alienware 17 with a 128gb ssd drive, and a 1tb secondary drive. I noticed that it was a lot slower than I had anticipated, so I checked the my computer and realized that the Alienware techs had installed the OS on the much slower, 1tb hard drive. Ok, so no problem right? I will just do a recovery, erase the main drive and set it to restore to the ssd.... well... unfortunately, I can't find that option, anywhere! not on windows recovery, or alienrespawn. Has anyone gone through this? What should I do?

June 29th, 2015 14:00

Perhaps you can shrink the volume of the 1TB drive to 128GB and then try this method? I will report back if it works after I try.

August 5th, 2015 04:00

Hi Fgvalle,

You noted "In BIOS, to properly add the device to the start up order, I deleted the existing UEFI start up entries, and only had SSD:\\BOOTMGR as my “Windows Boot Manager”. The existing one should be deleted."

Please help me, how to remove old item and add item "Windows Boot Manager" only with SSD?

I using Alienware 17 R2, with SSD Samsung 256GB, and 1TB Toshiba.

Some days, I boot into Windows 8.1 very slow, take 3-4 minutes, I think UEFI boot config wrong partition boot. but before at I buy Alienware 17 R2 from Dell, I only take 2 seconds for boot into Windows 8.1.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

5 Posts

August 7th, 2015 08:00

There are a few things to check with what you describe.

First of all, once you have windows installed, I would not touch the UEFI settings, this is set up automatically for you by the Dell Recovery, and is not the easiest to retrieve.

Secondly, make sure (like I did), that your boot drive is the SSD drive. you can do this by going to your computer (libraries - computer), and checking that the C:\ Drive is the smaller drive., not the 1tb drive that comes with the alienware.

Finally, it is normal for windows 8.1 to take longer to start up on some days. It is using a type of hybrid boot set up, where it doesn't always manually start up. Most of the time it is using a form of hybernate when you shut down. Make sure NOT to right click on the start menu, and shut down from there. That will always shut it off in a way that will not allow for quick startup.

I hope this helps

July 17th, 2016 23:00

i'm having the same issue i've had my laptop for a year and have had the WORST experience with dell.  OS not on the SSD.  The laptop shipped the wrong power suppply ( 180 w)  it took MONTHS to get the right one and in the end they kept bothering me to sent the original one back even though the shipping invoice said i didn't need to send the original one.  DELL is the WORST in customer service because of my experience i will never EVER buy another dell anything.  This laptop was a waste of 2,000 dollars and i can't believe how they treat customers.  it's amazing they're still in business.  if this post keeps one person from making the same mistake as me of getting this laptop i'll feel better in my soul.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi In.davis,

We are very sorry about the experience that you had with support, we are here to help. If you still need assistance, please send me a PM.

July 24th, 2016 08:00

absolutely how do i send a pm?

okay sent you a request patiently rating for a response 

No Events found!