Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 6th, 2016 18:00

Alienware 17 R3 - BSOD ISSUE - Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (v 8.1.10600.147_A00)

UPDATE AS OF 3/1/2016 - MY SOLUTION PROVIDED BELOW IS NO LONGER FIXING THE BSOD ISSUE. YOU CAN ATTEMPT IT AS A POSSIBLE SOLUTION, BUT I CAN NO LONGER VALIDATE IT AS IT NO LONGER PREVENTS THE BSOD ISSUE ON MY ALIENWARE 17 R3 980M.

Update: I've been in communication with PC Doctor over the last few weeks. Recently, I submitted a bunch of logs and a memory.dmp file in an attempt to provide them with data that will hopefully enable them to track down the cause of this BSOD issue we're faced with - today I received a reply that they are still pouring over the memory.dmp file, and will provide a further update ASAP. Hopefully, I'll have more to share soon - better yet, hopefully they find the problem, and can provide a solution/fix once and for all.

Patience is a virtue, right? More to come...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***The following is in regards to Alienware 17 R3 model specifically. While this may resolve other models affected by the same/similar issue, I cannot verify this resolution will work since I do not have those variant models to test and confirm.***

Upon the installation of the, "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver, 8.1.10600.147, A00," a BSOD will occur EVERY time you attempt to use the DELL SUPPORTASSIST PROGRAM.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

- The BSOD is listed as a: "BAD_POOL_HEADER"

- If you install version 8.1.10600.147_A00, and then go to: CONTROL PANEL >> ALL CONTROL PANEL ITEMS >> SYSTEM >> DEVICE MANAGER >> Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework >> RIGHT CLICK on each entry (as outlined below) >> Left Click on "UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE..." >> Select "Search automatically for updated driver software"

- Do this for the following entries listed:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant

- This will update the drivers to version: 8.1.10603.192 (8/7/2015). Once you do this, the BSOD is fixed and you can once again use the DELL SupportAssist program w/o a BSOD.

***This fix is tested/verified as of 2/6/2016, for the specific drivers listed in this post. Dell may release future drivers that may resolve this issue (I hope).***

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2016 11:00

61 Posts

February 8th, 2016 18:00

Just to confirm: it doesn't work for A15 R2

To date, this fix has still resolved this particular BSOD I was getting prior on my Alienware 17 R3

A thought - I update the drivers in the following order:

1. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager
2. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant
3. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant
4. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant
5. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant
6. Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant

1 Message

February 9th, 2016 21:00

I have an Alienware 17R3 that's having the same problem.  I can only get two out of the listed items to update.  ( Manager and Processor Participant. )  They show version 8.1.10603.192 ( 08/07/2015 ).

The others show 8.1.10600.147 ( 5/26/2015 ) and when I try to update them a driver is downloaded but it declares that "There is no driver selected for the device information set of element".

This is a Win10 install.  The machine is about 6 weeks old.

The Bluescreen Analyzer in the online Dell Diagnostics causes a bluescreen every single time I run it.

This is getting old fast.

61 Posts

February 18th, 2016 19:00

***Update*** My original post above is no longer working & I'm attempting to pursue a resolution directly with PC DOCTOR. If you're experiencing the issue outlined in my OP above, please reply with feedback. Hopefully,  Dell, Intel, & PC DOCTOR will utilize our feedback to create a resolution/driver or program update that will fix this BSOD issue.

1 Message

February 28th, 2016 01:00

Same situation just like you and now i updated with new released update package which shows in Dell driver list. Still can not be installed. I think is too hard for us to update this driver.

61 Posts

March 1st, 2016 17:00

Update: I've been in communication with PC Doctor over the last few weeks. Recently, I submitted a bunch of logs and a memory.dmp file in an attempt to provide them with data that will hopefully enable them to track down the cause of this BSOD issue we're faced with - today I received a reply that they are still pouring over the memory.dmp file, and will provide a further update ASAP. Hopefully, I'll have more to share soon - better yet, hopefully they find the problem, and can provide a solution/fix once and for all.

Patience is a virtue, right? More to come...

No Events found!