Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2016 07:00

Alienware 17 R3 Heat Issues

Let me start by saying that the Dell Support engineers have been fantastic  - I'm just unlucky and have a plagued laptop! 

So the keyboard has been replaced 3 times, battery once, and a new motherboard. Since then games that I normally play with no issues (110 - 140FPS) have dropped to 20FPS and stay there, as soon as I lift the laptop off the table the FPS comes back up. So it's obvioulsy a heat issue. My problem is that before the motherboard was replaced this NEVER happened. I've got screenshots of the CPU getting up to 92 degrees playing Return to Wolfenstein (10 year old game?). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? 

My only thoughts were that the thermal paste isn't on properly (or at all) or the power cable to the fan is caught / damaged and therefore not giving enough power to the fan. 

It's got to the point that the laptop is so hot I can't use the keyboard. 8764.gpu.PNG

3566.pch.PNG

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Run the latest Bios update, click here to get the driver and let me know how it goes.

2 Posts

June 29th, 2016 13:00

The engineer told me that he updated the BIOS to the latest version 2 days ago - that wouldn't be the problem would it?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 5th, 2016 15:00

No, the Bios update wouldn't be the problem. Please send me a PM with the service tag so I can assist you further.

No Events found!