Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2016 13:00

Alienware 17 R3 Key Ghosting?

Hi there,

I got an Alienware 17 R3 a few days ago, upgrading from an Alienware M17x R3. What I noticed was that there are some keyboard limitations (of course) when pressing multiple keys at once. However, these limitations are different from my M17x. I went to a Key-Test website, and this is what I observed:

• Whenever I press and hold one of the WASD keys and any of the arrow keys, it works fine.
  • Whenever I press and hold W and A, only the Down and Right arrow keys work (Up and Left are ignored)
  • Whenever I press and hold W and D, the Down and Left arrow keys work (Up and Right are ignored)
  • When I press and hold S and A, the Up and Right arrow keys work, Down and Left do not.
  • And holding S and D, the Up and Left arrow keys work, Down and Right do not.

The results are the same whenever I use the arrows on the numpad as well. I noticed that whatever 2 or more keys I hold down for WASD, this reflects on the arrow keys and disables them. I never had this problem on my old Alienware, so I was wondering, is there a fix to this without buying an external keyboard? This is a gaming laptop, and I'm not sure if this is ghosting or some software issue that can be fixed.

Could someone who has an AW 17 R3 try to reproduce the issue and see if they are having problems with this as well?

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 20th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Unfortunately ghosting is not supported on new systems, here you can check the article:

www.dell.com/.../SLN146935

11 Posts

September 20th, 2016 20:00

The issue I am having is not covered in the article.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 21st, 2016 17:00

The article was just a reference, ghosting is not supported on new systems.

No Events found!