Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 5th, 2017 11:00

Alienware 17 R4 Dell Stock Image Recovery Restore

Hi, I got my 17 R4 two days ago and ran Windows updates, Dell Driver Updates and all that. I think somewhere along the process, I got upgraded to the Creator's Edition and I'm not sure problems existed before the updates but they certainly existed afterwards. My Default Username in the C:\Users section and elsewhere was being defaulted to first 5 letters of my name, I was seeing graphic bugs in games like Dota 2 with all the drivers updated etc.

So I decided to wipe and do a fully clean install using the stock image provided on Dell.com for my system and a flash drive. Little did I know this was a fully Windows 10 Home Stock image and I lost all my Alienware software swag. I managed to restore most of the software components through the Dell website (Command Center, OSD etc) and ran the Digital Delivery as well (which I felt didn't really install anything), the clean system reinstall fixed my issues, but I'm now seeing some missing swag like No Alienware logo in the System properties, No Alienware Theme and maybe more. 

How do I take this Stock image from Dell to go back to exactly how it was with all the Alienware stuff when I received the system? Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2017 13:00

Little did I know this was a fully Windows 10 Home Stock image and I lost all my Alienware software swag. 

Right. I think your one chance to save all that is gone now.

You might have saved it all by using the in-place Reset Recovery. That might have clean-installed from the Dell Recovery Partition (and saved all the pre-installed Alienware stuff).

https://community.dell.com/message/63214

There is also a "Recovery Media Creator" built-into Windows-10 that allows you to make a USB-Flash-Drive copy of it's "shipped software state", that can be later used as a bare-metal Recovery Drive. However, if you "clean installed Windows" instead ... that is likely either gone or diss-associated now.  

All you should be missing now is maybe:

Alienware wallpapers (easy to find)

One Alienware Theme (not sure why Dell doesn't upload to Windows Theme repository)

With Windows 10, I don't think Alienware installs the "custom Windows BootScreen" any more (at least, my Aurora-R6 didn't have one). However, (if even possible) using 3rd party tool, I think it should be easy enough to embed your favorite.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 5th, 2017 13:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2017 14:00

and ran the Digital Delivery as well (which I felt didn't really install anything),

I think that is for (full application) Programs you might have purchased as "Digital Delivery" toward the bottom of the sales-config order page, when you bought your Alienware.

However, if you bought a pre-installed optical drive (DVD or Blu-Ray) I would be interested to hear if you find "CyberLink Media Suite" available there. 

21 Posts

May 5th, 2017 14:00

I wonder at what stage does Alienware make customizations to the factory WindowsOS if there isn't a factory image with the Alienware customizations preinstalled. One would imagine a giant like Alienware/Dell to maintain and provide this all inclusive custom system image on the drivers page, based on service tags and not a generic OS installation (which you can get for free at Microsoft), so that you can go back to exactly how it was when you first hit that power button. At least that's what I thought before I shelled out a fortune on it. Alas! It's WindowsOS and not AlienwareOS

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 6th, 2017 10:00

as91 wrote:

... if there isn't a factory image with the Alienware customizations preinstalled.

There is a customized Alienware factory Image with the software in a "as shipped" state. However, it's only on the main C: drive of each machine as a Recovery Partition. You just have to use it instead of doing a clean install. Or, before you accidentally erase it or de-associate it. Pretty sure there is a Utility or App to make a USB-Flash-Drive copy of it, that can be later used as a bare-metal Recovery Disc. 

Yes, I too remember those "ideal" scenarios as I have reloaded various (non-Dell) machines over the years. You might be surprised to see how other manufacturers handle it now-days. Things change ... including how Microsoft restricts the distribution of their OS by vendors.

1 Message

May 24th, 2017 17:00

I had the same problem restoring my Alienware m17 r4. The dumbasses at Alienware changed the industry standard of where the c and d drives go on the motherboard. C drive has always been pin  0 and D drive has always been pin 1. They have reversed and I was able to make a restoration cd off the computer. However it installs the operating system on Drive D instead of Drive C because of changing the pins and there is no way to change the drive in their old outdated and crappy BIOS. I have fought with Alienware since February 2017 and it is still not resolved. I took my computer to Microcenter, who is an approved Dell authorized repair store. They were able to restore the factory image by using start key and Ctrl or visa versa and it restored. However if the SSD C: drive ever fails I have not other way of retrieving my factory image. Making an image from the computer, off of Dell's website or having them mail you a usb recovery will not work. I have had to file a complaint with the BBB and still nothing is resolved. NOBODY from Dell headquarters in Round Rock, TX will ever talk to you, nor will you be able to contact them because all their phone number are unlisted. The only help you will get is from India where you have to explain your problem three times before they ever understand you and then they say its your fault or there is nothing we can do because your computer works fine. I spent $3300 on this damn computer and I will never buy another Dell/Alienware computer ever. I have spent $15,000 with them since 2010 and this is the treatment I get They should be kissing my ass and I will be hiring a lawyer. Alienware SUCKS.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2017 10:00

Dude, I understand your frustration (being it's a new system and all) but if you are having that much trouble with provided Recovery solutions ... I suggest you just clean-install Windows-10/64bit with Microsoft.com ISO and get on with your life. There is likely even a downloadable ISO of Win-10 for you at support.dell.com .

Also, watch the language ... we like to keep posts civil and family-friendly around here. 

21 Posts

May 25th, 2017 10:00

Haha we all have our different ways of venting it out I suppose. Anyway, my two cents as well having gone through this recently, there's absolutely no good that'll come out of contacting Dell or Alienware about this because the entire company/supply chain is just too big for their own good most of the time. I got rid of all the 'extras' Dell.com stock images/Alienware DUSB was giving me and simply wiped all partitions, got the latest ISO off Microsoft for Windows 10 Home, upgraded it to Pro, installed some AW specific things and the laptop is running much MUCH better now. Plus more free space, less clutter and no unwanted customizations which would also appear to be restrictions at times. My Creator's Update is too new for my system's good so it's been struggling with the Killer WiFi drivers and Razer Deathadder Elite drivers. But nothing that I cannot live with for the time being. Alienware reps around here, especially Rodrigo, is pretty active and courteous enough to follow up himself without you poking the stick too often. It's more than what I can expect from a giant really. Even Apple has its fair share of customer service issues. 

3 Posts

June 18th, 2017 18:00

Alienware-Eimyallanh-SW2016micromedic-SW2016

I am having the same issues. I cant seem to get past this. What should I do?

21 Posts

June 18th, 2017 22:00

If you've lost your OS that came with the system, there's absolutely no way of getting it back. Don't restore anything from Dell.com or DESB because they're both horrible. Your best bet is to download Windows straight off Microsoft and download all the Alienware customization and software from Dell Support

3 Posts

June 19th, 2017 09:00

That is how I currently have it but I am missing a lot. I wanted to send Tha PC back because I paid 2700 dollars for it and it should have been this way in less than 4 months. I don't install crazy things in it and have only played some games. Alienware-Eimy‌ Alienware-Eimy‌can you help out with this? 

1 Message

July 8th, 2017 11:00

I am having this same issue, is there a total restore disk/software that I can download to get all of my "bells and whistles" back? My issues was I did the update to creator and received a virus, I contacted Microsoft and they found corrupt files that couldn't be fixed. I had to do a factory wipe and re-install windows 10 and lost all of my Alienware software. I was able to download some of the software but I know that I am still missing a great deal. Please help!

Hi, I got my 17 R4 two and ran Windows updates, Dell Driver Updates and all that. I think somewhere along the process, I got upgraded to the Creator's Edition and I'm not sure problems existed before the updates but they certainly existed afterwards. My Default Username in the C:\Users section and elsewhere was being defaulted to first 5 letters of my name, I was seeing graphic bugs in games like Dota 2 with all the drivers updated etc.

So I decided to wipe and do a fully clean install using the stock image provided on Dell.com for my system and a flash drive. Little did I know this was a fully Windows 10 Home Stock image and I lost all my Alienware software swag. I managed to restore most of the software components through the Dell website (Command Center, OSD etc) and ran the Digital Delivery as well (which I felt didn't really install anything), the clean system reinstall fixed my issues, but I'm now seeing some missing swag like No Alienware logo in the System properties, No Alienware Theme and maybe more. 

How do I take this Stock image from Dell to go back to exactly how it was with all the Alienware stuff when I received the system? Thanks

1 Message

July 18th, 2017 12:00

So, I'm gonna seem super dumb but how do I PM you on this forum because I'm having the same issue and none of my function keys work my macro keys don't work and command center doesn't load

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 18th, 2017 15:00

Hover the cursor over my username and hit Message. 

21 Posts

July 18th, 2017 15:00

Don't worry. Messaging them isn't going to help much either. 

No Events found!