Highlighted
MrTomasz
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R4 and still no Creators Update

Hi,

I have Alienware 17 R4 laptop and still didn't get update to Windows 10 1703 aka Creators Update.

Do you know any estimated date of 1703 release (unlock?) via Windows Update? Windows Update log says it has found 15 updates for my computer, but GUI says "up to date".

I do not want to spend more time on manual update or clean install, as the official Win10 1703 ISO is damaged (DISM) and can't perform system update.

I'm on latest build v1607 14393.1230.

Best Regards,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Alienware 17 R4 and still no Creators Update

Hi,

1. I have Alienware 17 R4 laptop and still didn't get update to Windows 10 1703 aka Creators Update.

2. Windows Update log says it has found 15 updates for my computer, but GUI says "up to date".

3. I do not want to spend more time on manual update or clean install, as the official Win10 1703 ISO is damaged (DISM) and can't perform system update.

I'm on latest build v1607 14393.1230.

1. Be patient. You should see a message on Update Screen that it's "coming soon".

2. Not sure I understand, but any available updates must be installed first since some of those might be prerequisites.

3. If your DISM is reporting damaged, if must be repaired before CU-1703 is offered for an overlay or in-place upgrade. Only other way I can think of would be a format, clean Windows install, and complete driver and apps system build-up (see my Bookmarks).

Download Windows 10 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos

take a look at the Windows Update History. are there any Errors? if the Answer is Yes, then you have to fix them first. all Windows Updates need to be installed in the correct Order. Windows will not Update if one of the previous installed Updates is faulty or missing.

since you don't want to mess with the Updates manually, try to run Windows Troubleshooter and pick Windows Updates. let it check your System.

Area 51-R2, BIOS A10, i7-5820K @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Tactical 64 GB @ 2666 MHz, Titan X(P),

Samsung 960 Pro M2 SSD, Crucial MX300 SSD, 1500W Dell PSU, Win10 Home, Yoda USB Guard Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MrTomasz
1 Nickel

1. There are no errors in Windows Update.

2. Windows Update troubleshooter didn't find any issues.

3. I can see "Creators Update coming soon"

4. System is up-to-date with all updates applied.

5. I went through "Creators Update Privacy Setting" and can see in registry that my PC has been marked as "ready to update" and "begin with update"

6. DISM issue is related to Creators Update ISO, not mine OS. Mine OS is in healthy state and no problems found by SFC nor DISM healthcheck. It's known problem with Creators Update official ISO.

PS. I'm MS certified IT Pro, so already some time ago went through all of these things you guys mentioned. :-(

0 Kudos

aaahhhh. now i get it. below "Creators Update comming soon" there should be a link which says "Don't want to Wait? Click Here.".  if you click on that Link, you can download the Update Launcher. after the Download is finished just run the File and the Update Process begins.

Area 51-R2, BIOS A10, i7-5820K @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Tactical 64 GB @ 2666 MHz, Titan X(P),

Samsung 960 Pro M2 SSD, Crucial MX300 SSD, 1500W Dell PSU, Win10 Home, Yoda USB Guard Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MrTomasz
1 Nickel

As I mentioned in my first post - manual update does not work. DISM tool inside Creators Update installer is faulty, thus it cannot proceed with manual, enforced upgrade via this way.

Is there anyone who's got already Creators Update via Windows Update on Alienware R4 17 ?

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

MrTomasz wrote:

DISM tool inside Creators Update installer is faulty, thus it cannot proceed with manual, enforced upgrade via this way.

Please provide external URL that supports this statement.

You should be able to create USB-Flash Drive with Media Creation tool. Get past the initial downloading and verification. Then either use this media from existing Windows, or boot it and do an upgrade or in-place install and select "keep my files".

I would still Image Backup system first in case things go screwy.

You also have the option of a complete clean Windows install.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos

i have to admit, i didn't read your Posts carefully at first. but now i did and saw your PS: Line. as an IT Pro you already tried the CMD Basics, right? i'm talking about these:

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

actually, i've never heard about this issue. it works for me every single time. i've had one System which automatically rolled back after Update, but that's it.

MrTomasz wrote:

Is there anyone who's got already Creators Update via Windows Update on Alienware R4 17 ?

you think you didn't get the Update because you have a 17 R4 or why do you ask?

0 Kudos
MrTomasz
1 Nickel

Of course I've tried - I mentioned that few times already in previous posts.

My current OS image (v1607 - 14393.1230) is healthy (DISM and SFC), plus, according to various threads on technet, some people got lucky by checking health and repairing installation WIM image as well by running DISM on that, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Regarding your last question about update process on this particular model - I am more asking if there is already green light for official rollout of v1703 aka Creators Update for Alienware R4 17 model, because this particular model has been mentioned in MS tech note about putting Creators Update "on hold" for some PC/laptop models. There was a problem with display driver going black or something like that, I don't remember right now but it's easy to find it... On the other hand, Alienware R4 17 is on the list of confirmed, supported products running Creators Update (official Dell KB post).

So my question is - is there anyone who got official update to v1703 via MS Windows Update channel, without enforcing any update by using Creators Update ISO or tool provided by MS to download ESD image (the "you can get it right now" message in Settings->Update screen) ?

It's really weird...

Other machine (HP ProBook G3) at home got 1703 update about 2 weeks after official release.

Last hope is to try run it through WSUS server instead of official WIndows Update, but probably effect will be same, aka "no new updates found".

PS. This is the "magic log file" for Windows Update process, which tells me that there are 15 updates available for my system, which seems to be true, but GUI never download them.

{619487F0-2288-44F9-9A63-C04CD95314FC}    2017-06-10 02:04:17:300+0100    1    147 [AGENT_DETECTION_FINISHED]    101    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}    0    0    UpdateOrchestrator    Success    Software Synchronization    Windows Update Client successfully detected 15 updates.

and if you look at Windows Update Catalog and search for "1703", you'll see that numbers are right, but catalog does not have a cummulative update (1607 -> 1703) as this is delivered as an ESD, not MSU/CAB as usual updates.

Microsoft Update Catalog 

Maybe I should write directly to Dell support and ask if v1703 is officially already in roll-out phase or still on hold due some issues with drivers or whatever...

0 Kudos
Rhenium
2 Iron

Be careful with CU! Creators Update may cause BSOD. Back up your files.