Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 7th, 2017 17:00

Alienware 17 R4 and still no Creators Update

Hi,

I have Alienware 17 R4 laptop and still didn't get update to Windows 10 1703 aka Creators Update.

Do you know any estimated date of 1703 release (unlock?) via Windows Update? Windows Update log says it has found 15 updates for my computer, but GUI says "up to date".

I do not want to spend more time on manual update or clean install, as the official Win10 1703 ISO is damaged (DISM) and can't perform system update.

I'm on latest build v1607 14393.1230.

Best Regards,

Tomasz

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 8th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

1. I have Alienware 17 R4 laptop and still didn't get update to Windows 10 1703 aka Creators Update.

2. Windows Update log says it has found 15 updates for my computer, but GUI says "up to date".

3. I do not want to spend more time on manual update or clean install, as the official Win10 1703 ISO is damaged (DISM) and can't perform system update.

I'm on latest build v1607 14393.1230.

1. Be patient. You should see a message on Update Screen that it's "coming soon".

2. Not sure I understand, but any available updates must be installed first since some of those might be prerequisites.

3. If your DISM is reporting damaged, if must be repaired before CU-1703 is offered for an overlay or in-place upgrade. Only other way I can think of would be a format, clean Windows install, and complete driver and apps system build-up (see my Bookmarks).

Download Windows 10 

June 9th, 2017 12:00

take a look at the Windows Update History. are there any Errors? if the Answer is Yes, then you have to fix them first. all Windows Updates need to be installed in the correct Order. Windows will not Update if one of the previous installed Updates is faulty or missing.

since you don't want to mess with the Updates manually, try to run Windows Troubleshooter and pick Windows Updates. let it check your System.

6 Posts

June 9th, 2017 13:00

1. There are no errors in Windows Update.

2. Windows Update troubleshooter didn't find any issues.

3. I can see "Creators Update coming soon"

4. System is up-to-date with all updates applied.

5. I went through "Creators Update Privacy Setting" and can see in registry that my PC has been marked as "ready to update" and "begin with update"

6. DISM issue is related to Creators Update ISO, not mine OS. Mine OS is in healthy state and no problems found by SFC nor DISM healthcheck. It's known problem with Creators Update official ISO.

PS. I'm MS certified IT Pro, so already some time ago went through all of these things you guys mentioned. :-(

June 9th, 2017 13:00

aaahhhh. now i get it. below "Creators Update comming soon" there should be a link which says "Don't want to Wait? Click Here.".  if you click on that Link, you can download the Update Launcher. after the Download is finished just run the File and the Update Process begins.

6 Posts

June 9th, 2017 14:00

As I mentioned in my first post - manual update does not work. DISM tool inside Creators Update installer is faulty, thus it cannot proceed with manual, enforced upgrade via this way.

Is there anyone who's got already Creators Update via Windows Update on Alienware R4 17 ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 9th, 2017 15:00

MrTomasz wrote:

DISM tool inside Creators Update installer is faulty, thus it cannot proceed with manual, enforced upgrade via this way.

Please provide external URL that supports this statement.

You should be able to create USB-Flash Drive with Media Creation tool. Get past the initial downloading and verification. Then either use this media from existing Windows, or boot it and do an upgrade or in-place install and select "keep my files".

I would still Image Backup system first in case things go screwy.

You also have the option of a complete clean Windows install.

June 9th, 2017 17:00

i have to admit, i didn't read your Posts carefully at first. but now i did and saw your PS: Line. as an IT Pro you already tried the CMD Basics, right? i'm talking about these:

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

actually, i've never heard about this issue. it works for me every single time. i've had one System which automatically rolled back after Update, but that's it.

MrTomasz wrote:

Is there anyone who's got already Creators Update via Windows Update on Alienware R4 17 ?

you think you didn't get the Update because you have a 17 R4 or why do you ask?

6 Posts

June 9th, 2017 18:00

Of course I've tried - I mentioned that few times already in previous posts.

My current OS image (v1607 - 14393.1230) is healthy (DISM and SFC), plus, according to various threads on technet, some people got lucky by checking health and repairing installation WIM image as well by running DISM on that, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Regarding your last question about update process on this particular model - I am more asking if there is already green light for official rollout of v1703 aka Creators Update for Alienware R4 17 model, because this particular model has been mentioned in MS tech note about putting Creators Update "on hold" for some PC/laptop models. There was a problem with display driver going black or something like that, I don't remember right now but it's easy to find it... On the other hand, Alienware R4 17 is on the list of confirmed, supported products running Creators Update (official Dell KB post).

So my question is - is there anyone who got official update to v1703 via MS Windows Update channel, without enforcing any update by using Creators Update ISO or tool provided by MS to download ESD image (the "you can get it right now" message in Settings->Update screen) ?

It's really weird...

Other machine (HP ProBook G3) at home got 1703 update about 2 weeks after official release.

Last hope is to try run it through WSUS server instead of official WIndows Update, but probably effect will be same, aka "no new updates found".

PS. This is the "magic log file" for Windows Update process, which tells me that there are 15 updates available for my system, which seems to be true, but GUI never download them.

{619487F0-2288-44F9-9A63-C04CD95314FC}    2017-06-10 02:04:17:300+0100    1    147 [AGENT_DETECTION_FINISHED]    101    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}    0    0    UpdateOrchestrator    Success    Software Synchronization    Windows Update Client successfully detected 15 updates.

and if you look at Windows Update Catalog and search for "1703", you'll see that numbers are right, but catalog does not have a cummulative update (1607 -> 1703) as this is delivered as an ESD, not MSU/CAB as usual updates.

Microsoft Update Catalog 

Maybe I should write directly to Dell support and ask if v1703 is officially already in roll-out phase or still on hold due some issues with drivers or whatever...

103 Posts

June 9th, 2017 21:00

Be careful with CU! Creators Update may cause BSOD. Back up your files.

June 10th, 2017 03:00

well apparently your System is on the Dell CU Compatibility List, so the Update is out since atleast April.

you know what? better wait for Alienware Eimy or Rodrigo. they don't work on Weekends so you have to wait till Monday. but they are your best Chance to get a Correct Answer.

one last thing i remembered just now. sometimes, if an App is not compatible with the W10 CU, Windows refuses to Update. happened to me at my Workplace. i was forced to uninstall an old Version of our Database Software. but i guess you know that Stuff already.

Sorry i coudn't help you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 10th, 2017 09:00

MrTomasz wrote:

So my question is - is there anyone (with Alienware 17 R4) who got official update to v1703 via MS Windows Update channel,

If you will simply search this forum, you will see many Alienware 17-R4 users did. That is why we are both trying to help you because your assumptions are apparently misplaced. 

I remember because some owners had audio driver trouble afterwards, and had to clean-install latest audio driver. To my knowledge, that fixed any trouble.

You are making it hard for us to help with your reluctance to provide links to this supporting info you keep referring to. Or, even quote the info here verbatim.

If you check my Profile, you will see that I am qualified to help you. So is CarbonBasedLifeform , but I won't reveal his qualifications since they are not in his public Profile.

June 10th, 2017 10:00

thanks. i got lucky sofar i guess. but Backups are always a good Idea.

6 Posts

June 11th, 2017 12:00

Hi Tesla,

Right, so as I understand now after your confirmation - people got updated to v1703, let's say in "effortless" way via official WU - thanks.

I will double check any drivers, however I have installed the latest versions from Dell support website, so I assume they are "ready" for v1703.

I think there's a little misunderstanding - I really appreciate help from you guys, but I'm just trying to figure out the issue I have with update "not coming in", as really, I've tried basically everything from simple "hints" to the really advanced steps like I mentioned, with fixing 1703 ISO WIM image and DISM version (comparing with the one from Win10 CU ADK which should be exaclty same).

Additionally, by "contacting Dell support" I meant some direct contact, because as I understand this is community board and I might get a solution or not, as there can be some specific or new issue with my laptop and/or software which leads to something new, without known solution/workaround/fix/hack...

I didn't mean that you or other people posting here are "unqualified" to provide support - if it looks like that, then I apologize but I do not mean that. I'm just frustrated and tried basically everything already...

One of errors I'm getting during OS update from ISO is this one:

Failed to mount WIM file C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SafeOS\winre.wim. Error 0x80070020[gle=0x00000020]

and if you just google it or search on technet, there are few steps which worked for some people, but not for me (i.e. checking actual DISM mount table in registry, repairing WIM images, repairing DISM itself, checking health of my current system, etc.).

So summarizing, according to your post, v1703 is rolled-out via official Windows Update channel, without enforcing update by running ISO or ESD setup, etc. If that's true, then it's realling interesting problem to solve to unlock update via WU in my case...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 11th, 2017 13:00

MrTomasz wrote:

1. I think there's a little misunderstanding - I really appreciate help from you guys, but I'm just trying to figure out the issue I have with update "not coming in", 

1. I didn't mean that you or other people posting here are "unqualified" to provide support - if it looks like that, then I apologize but I do not mean that. I'm just frustrated and tried basically everything already...

2. Additionally, by "contacting Dell support" I meant some direct contact, because as I understand this is community board and I might get a solution or not, as there can be some specific or new issue with my laptop and/or software which leads to something new, without known solution/workaround/fix/hack...

1. Ok, as long as we understand each other. No worries friend.

2. If you have appropriate paid warranty contract you are welcome to contact Dell directly. I would be interested to hear what they have to say, and also know the "quality" of their response. 

June 11th, 2017 14:00

yeah. i'd like to know how you fixed it too. one Day i might need the Info myself.

please keep us updated.

No Events found!