Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2013 01:00

Alienware 17, USB Power Surge

Every time I load a supported video game, World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, and use the 3D on my monitor it runs fine for a few minutes then, it crashes the game and locks up the computer for about 2 minutes.  I receive the following error:
Power surge on HID-compliant device

I reset it and then this error pops up:
Power Surge on NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB controller

It appears this computer isn't able to use the 3D at this time.  Has anyone run into this before, and if so, can you offer some suggestions to fix it.  This is an Alienware 17. I can post the specs if they are needed.  I also saved some screenshots of the errors.

14 Posts

Also, which ports are USB3?  I see no labels on the laptop anywhere.

14 Posts

The glasses are charged and not connected to the PC.  There is nothing but a mouse connected to any USB port.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi Dauthus,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

In addition, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Please let me know if this helps.

14 Posts

There are no BIOS updates for my system.  It is only 2 weeks old.  The service tag didn't give me any update that I haven't installed already. I was on the phone with tech support and ran the Diagnostics.  It passed all the tests. They said they are going to escalate this up to the next level. They told me I should hear from them in about 3 days. I have about 2 weeks left before I return the computer.  If this isn't solved by next week I will request a RMA, get my refund and order another one. I paid just a few dollars shy of $3000 for this laptop, and I like Alienware products. I just don't want to go on for weeks with tech support and still not have a problem.  As it is now, I can return it and order another.

14 Posts

I may have posted this originally in the wrong forum.  I have an Alienware M17X I just bought on 7/11/13.  When I play a game in 3D (World of Warcraft and World of Tanks) The game plays fine for a few minutes then crashes back to 2D when it goes back to 2D I receive the following errors:

Power surge on HID-compliant device

I reset this USB and then the following pops up:

Power Surge on NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB controller

This is now happening anytime I play the games in 3D.  Does anyone know a fix for this?  It cost a couple hundred extra dollars to get the 3D option when I had the computer build.  It would be nice if I can get it working.

8540.usb1.jpg

3010.usb2.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

That message usually means the USB device is pulling to many amps. Is there an external device for the glasses to work? Have you tried a USB3 port? (they handle more amps).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 12:00

Dauthus,

Please contact me via private message by clicking on my name in blue, and then clicking "Start Conversation". Provide the Service Tag Number.

14 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 12:00

After following this for a few days, I have noticed the 3D glasses stop working just as this happens.  The game stays in 3D, and the screen shows the double images.  I am thinking the IR emitter is causing this, because it appears the IR emitter is shutting down and this causes the computer to lock up.  When I use Ctrl + t to return the game to 2D, that is when it locks up even more.  Also the IR emitter has to be on for the glasses to work properly.  The don't work when this happens.  You can see the double images on the screen with the glasses on and powered.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 14:00

Are you testing using the Dell certified Nvidia GPU driver or did you somehow load the retail GPU driver?

14 Posts

I am using everything Dell gave me.  I have only loaded the Updated drivers from the Dell website.  Nothing else.

14 Posts

I have even checked all my driver versions to make sure they were the latest Dell had on their Drivers & Downloads pages.  The only driver I couldn't install was the Intel(R) HD Graphics Driver.  The rest installed without a problem.  The HD Graphics driver stated my system "didn't meet the minimum requirements..."

14 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 16:00

Ok, I think I may be have been able to resolve this issue.  I again downloaded the NVIDIA driver and reinstalled it.  It appears to have fixed the issue.  I downloaded this driver:

www.dell.com/.../alienware-17

There are two listed, and I downloaded and reinstalled this one:

Video_nVidia_W74W84_A00_Setup-Y1PHF_ZPE.exe

14 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 23:00

Ok, dang.  I just turned on the computer and received the exact same errors.  I wasn't even running anything in 3D.  I just turned it on after it was off all night.  Anyone else have any possible suggestions?

14 Posts

July 25th, 2013 00:00

And a new error has arrived.  Hmm.  I also never received the phone call from tech support I was supposed to receive today.

1738.new error.jpg

September 4th, 2013 07:00

I'm in the same boat just bought the new Alienware 17 right out the box when I turn it on got that Power surge on the USB port. not even two weeks old, they should send us replacements. You figure spending all that $$$ and getting something that doesn't work.

No Events found!