Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2015 15:00

Alienware 17 r2 2015 980m gpu with 180w psu, can I get the 240w?

when I was young, owning alienware was like a dreams. And finally yesterday that dream becomes true. And I am quite happy with that purchase.
But I was shocked with the limitations dell had put. 5400 rpm hdd? OK, this I could live with.
But a 180w power adapter!!!!! In a gaming laptop?? With 980m GPU!!! Really?! No, even 10 updates of the BIOS will not solve this issue.

Good news is, customers can get 240w power adapter
Bad news is, it is only for USA and Canada customers

And my question is, am I included as USA customer?
Note: I bought my alienware from Amazon, and I still waiting for it to reach my brother's US box.
And actually I don't want to ship it to my hometown "Saudi Arabia" without the 240w power adapter.

I don't want to spend extra money for the power adapter. Considering the fact that I'm a student, this laptop already cost me an arm and a leg.

Bottom line, as the ad says " the alienware 17 is for gamers who don't wanna compromise performance in any angle any possible component".
I don't wanna compromise performance with the 180w power adapter.
I trust Dell and I am really sure that one of the support team will help solving my issue.

Written with love to alienware and dell,,

April 27th, 2015 16:00

Hello Monta-Gh,

Once the computer arrives to your brother's address, you can tell him to fill the ownership transfer form here for you. After that, he can schedule the service for him to request the AC adapter swap by following this link.

After that is done, then he can ship the computer to you in Saudi Arabia.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2015 13:00

Thanks a lot Alexander for your reply.
I saw that article but the problem is that I don't have access for the service tag of my laptop, and my brother doesn't live in US. that's why I wrote this post.
If you want me to verify my purchase, I think I can email you if you can help.

April 29th, 2015 20:00

Hi Monta-Gh,

I thought your brother lived in the US.

Ok, let's do this. Checkout the International Contact Center website. Go to Saudi Arabia for you to contact tech support.

Provide the article number to the agent for them to assist you with this.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2015 14:00

I just received my alainware nearly three weeks ago, I should've gotten it before but a third party from Amazon fraud me, after waiting 20 days I got nothing, I filed a claim and got refund, I've bought it again and I've just got it.
Anyhow, I tried to live with the 180w adapter but I couldn't, it bothers me when other users play with 50FPS while me 30-35FPS, not only that, sometimes with heavy usage the battery drains while in power.

I called the tech support and I explained my case to them but they seems that they don't know what I was talking about, so, they said that an engineer should see the laptop to acknowledge the issue. I said okay, and I asked will I get benefit, because I'm gonna hit the road? "the service center is not in my town". then, they told me that they don't cover international warranties, its service is only for middle east.

Now, you are my only and last hope, I will send a request. Could you personally look for it? It that's okay. Thanks.

9 Posts

June 30th, 2015 04:00

Hi, swap the adapter? Is it free of charge actually? I'm living in Canada and going to receive my r2 17 around in coue of days.

Thanks,

Prof

4 Posts

July 1st, 2015 22:00

Yep, it should be free for US and Canada customers, it was literally written in their article with the problem but they've edited it.
And no I have not got the 240w adapter yet. I'm tired from them and from their bad tech support.
I've sent a request nearly a weak ago asking about the power adapter replacement, they've simply replied that their support handles cases related to computers that are registered in US or Canada, and they said that my computer seems that was purchased in a different country.
Although it was purchased from and inside US and they can tell from my service tag, I directly replied back saying that, but till now I got no answer.

BTW, congratulation and I hope yours come with the 240w.

9 Posts

July 1st, 2015 22:00

Thank you very much for you reply and information. 

3 Posts

July 26th, 2015 06:00

Hello Alexander J, I recently purchased the alienware 17 R2 with 980m and it came wih a05 BIOS. I'm still experiencing throttling issues. I ran a 3dmark benchmark and I got 9241 with 180w psu. I checked the article in the knowledge base and there's no option to request for a 240w psu. Kindly help me. Thank you

13 Posts

July 31st, 2015 02:00

Hi folks

I am new here. I am from Austria, so my native language is german. I hope you apologize any mistakes and errors in spelling (plus my spellchecker is set to german and tends to add capitalized letters sometimes).

I just bought an Alienware 17 (i7-4980/gtx980/16GB/256SSD1TB HD) and have read about the thermal problems as well as the PSU being to weak. My Laptop is not yet delivered and I asked Dell if they might send the stronger PSU in first hand, so that they need not send it later.

My info was, that I am not eligable for a replacement and will get the 180 W PSU, that will not deliver the necessary wattage, as we all know (we can calculate and 210 W consumption of the GTX alone is too much, never mentioning the 47 W of the processor and the watts of all the other components...)

So ... what is there to do? Some get the PSU and some not?

Are there some People "more equal" than others? Could this be legal?

Any thoughts on that?

regards,

Harry

4 Posts

February 1st, 2016 20:00

Hi All, I was just ordering the R17 with GTX 980M 4 Gigs and saw a you tube video explaining the 240 vs 180 PSU thingy. I asked Dell as the order was still not placed and the guy said they can give me 240 as he checked from the factory and 180w is the recommended one. So now i told the guy Ok then I wont buy , but now my question is why the *** Dell Reps across the Globe does not know about this situation. I am in HongKong now and was placing the order. Now I am stuck :(

No Events found!