Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2015 09:00

Alienware 17 screen and USB issues

Hello, recently I upgraded my Windows OS from 8.1 into 10 on my Alienware 17 Laptop. Ever since then, whenever my laptop is on battery powered and reaches 40%, it will randomly reduce my screen brightness to 0% and disconnect USB devices. However, after plugging in my charger back on and removing it instantly, my USB devices will start to work again. I have gone into device manager and uncheck the box that says "Disable USB port to save power” and disable “USB selective suspend setting“ on my high performance power plan but the problem have not been fix.

Please help

Thank you and have a good day.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 5th, 2015 13:00

Hi, 

Make sure your system has the latest Bios firmware, click here for the download link. Can you also confirm what power plan you are using?

October 5th, 2015 14:00

My system driver are all up to dated.

I am using high performance power plan 

Thank You

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 7th, 2015 15:00

Hi, 

Try to reseat the battery. Click here to view a video that explains how to do this. 

October 8th, 2015 11:00

I recently tried your suggestion and waited but the problem is still happening 

October 8th, 2015 12:00

It is not always exactly at 40% but, the issue occurred randomly around 30%-40% battery power and  very rarely at around 48%.

Yes i am using the original AC adapter that came with the machine.  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 8th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Is it always when your battery reaches 40% that it does this? Are you using the original AC adapter that came with the system?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 12th, 2015 17:00

Hi, 

Thanks for confirming this. It appears you have already tried the recommended troubleshooting procedures for this type of issue, it may be hardware related. For hardware support, please send me your service tag in a PM (we can only provide hardware support if your system is in warranty).

3 Posts

May 27th, 2016 12:00

Hello, I have same problem with My Alienware 17 (GTX 880M) .  I upgraded my Windows OS from 8.1 into 10 on my Alienware 17 Laptop. Ever since then, whenever my laptop is on battery powered and reaches 40%, it will randomly reduce my screen brightness to 0% and disconnect USB devices.

No Events found!