Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2016 08:00

Alienware 17R2 DC connector problem

Hi:

Recently i bought an Alienware 17R2 and it was great until I realized there was a warp on the bottom plastic cover due to a overheating. I opened it and saw that the DC connector was severily burned and proceeded to replace it.

It hasnt been a month since the replacement and the connector is already showing signs of burning. I've checked another posts related to this problem but no one seems to conclude in a definitive solution.

Could it be a problem with the motherboard itself?

These are the laptop specs:

I7 4710HQ

GTX 980M

16GB Ram

Thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 13th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

This behavior in the system is due to the DC JACK, if you already replaced it, check that the "battery behavior" option in the BIOS is in standard and not in express. The AC Adapter can be causing issues as well, so make sure it is working correctly.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2016 13:00

Is there any way to effectibly determine if the AC adapter is the problem?

To check an AC-Adapter (usually a SMPS).
1. At idle (no load) be sure it is outputting the proper (usually DC) voltage.

2. Under rated load (ie in watts or amps) ... be sure it can still deliver it's rated voltage and does "drop-off" or shut-down.

In your case ... be sure it's the DC-Jack and or connecting wire that is over-heating and not the DC-DC Converter circuit. If it's the Jack or wire ... sounds like you would have to:
1. Reduce the power-usage of the computer or repair it so it uses proper watts.
2. Increase the gauge of jack or wire since it appears to be insufficient. However, it might just be damaged. A new part might be upgraded or revised.

December 13th, 2016 13:00

Is there any way to effectibly determine if the AC adapter is the problem?

17 Posts

January 8th, 2017 14:00

Very good afternoon friends I have overheating problem of internal power supply cable in my alienware r3 17 so I would like to know a solution to avoid or correct this problem thank you very much and apologize for the inconvenience

Muy buenos amigos tarde tengo problema de sobrecalentamiento del cable de fuente de alimentación interna en mi Alienware r3 17 Así que me gustaría saber una solución para evitar o corregir este problema muchas gracias y disculpas por las molestias0218.DSC_0315.JPG

17 Posts

January 8th, 2017 22:00

Very good afternoon friend thank you very much for your help I would like if it is not annoying to request an email to know more of this problem and as you replaced

3250.DSC_0315.JPG

January 13th, 2017 13:00

Did you find the problem source already?

327 Posts

January 15th, 2017 19:00

i put a thermal pad above that " choke" near to the battery plug and AC plug because it get really hot during gaming .. and check the manufacture of the AC adapter, mine is made by DELTA and they are the best, probably you have a flextronix, they are not bad, but it could be causing it, my laptop have almost 2 years and 0 problems with the DC conector or any sing of burn

6 Posts

February 11th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

I think in your case the motherboard may be the problem.

I have the same situation(with also the bottom plastic warped), and already discarded all other options.

I bought a new cable, a new battery, a new adapter (the 240W instead of the 190W). I tested the different scenarios using the new parts and old ones.

What I found is that as long the battery is being charged, the motherboard temperature will rise up to 230C  (even with express charging disabled) and start melting other plastic parts in that region. I measured it with an IR Thermometer until I found the hottest region is the area of the battery connector. What I had to do was disconnect the battery indefinitely to keep using the laptop and avoid burning it down. Now is a desktop PC for me.

It seems my motherboard has a shortcut, so I will have to use it that way until I'm able to buy a new laptop or find a good deal of a motherboard replacement.

I decided to open a post last year but as I see there won't be any solution or feedback from AW support anymore on my case. I would have expected at least one procedure to check for a shortcut, but nope.

en.community.dell.com/.../19993145

I recommend you send the laptop to AW tech center if your warranty is still valid. Otherwise disconnect the battery and keep playing that way. Later on the road move to a new unit (same brand or other ones) or hunt for a good deal on a MB replacement.

1 Message

June 18th, 2017 12:00

Unfortunately I have the same problem.

AW 17 R2

47980HQ

980m

16G

https://ibb.co/fgKNQ5 

And there is no solution!

Thank you ALIENWARE! Never again!

Everywhere I tell you!

13 Posts

December 26th, 2017 18:00

i hope the  solution is simpler than having to replace the motherboard.  I recently noticed warped bottom of my alieneware. It's more like a bubble and it's exactly at the spot where the DC wire was touching the bottom lid.  The plastic jack has brunt marks and the so do the wires.  I hope maybe replacing the DC wire can fix the issue.  Anyone recently had this issue resolved?

No Events found!