Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2016 21:00

Alienware 17R2 bad GPU driver?

Recently I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my laptop and installed all the drivers from Dell's driver page, everything works as it should except for the GPU. In device manager it has a yellow triangle on the 970M and says error 43. 

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver but it always ends up with the same error message. I also tried running the ePSA diagnostics and it had no errors after the full test. Is there anyway I can get the driver to work? Or will it just magically start to work after a couple installs and un-installs? 

Alienware 17R2

OS-Windows 8.1

CPU-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

GPU-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

RAM-2x 4GB 

HDD-1TB ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB

BIOS-A06

285 Posts

Hi,

To resolve this problem, do the following.

1. To open Device Manager, click Start, click Search programs and files, and then type Device Manager. A list of available matching items appears above the search box; click Device Manager. Device Manager opens with your computer name at the top and a list of devices that are installed on your computer beneath your computer name.

2. Locate the malfunctioning device in the list of devices, right-click the device, and then click Uninstall. When a warning message appears that you are uninstalling a device from your system, click OK. Device manager uninstalls the device.

3. Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes. Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.

4. Right-click the device and click Properties. On the General tab of the device Properties dialog box, in Device status, you should see the message This device is working properly.

285 Posts

Hi,

To resolve this problem, do the following.

1. To open Device Manager, click Start, click Search programs and files, and then type Device Manager. A list of available matching items appears above the search box; click Device Manager. Device Manager opens with your computer name at the top and a list of devices that are installed on your computer beneath your computer name.

2. Locate the malfunctioning device in the list of devices, right-click the device, and then click Uninstall. When a warning message appears that you are uninstalling a device from your system, click OK. Device manager uninstalls.

3. Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes. Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.

4. Right-click the device and click Properties. On the General tab of the device Properties dialog box, in Device status, you should see the message This device is working properly.

2 Posts

April 25th, 2016 23:00

So I tried doing what you said and it removed the error 43 message on the 970M but my games still ran as if they were using the Intel GPU and not the Nvidia one. 

It used to be I'd get 50 FPS on high settings but now I'm getting 30 FPS on low settings. Any thing else I should try? 

No Events found!