Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2015 22:00

Alienware 17R3, Intel GPU 530 Problems

In the past ten days since I received my 17R3, I got the following problems:

1- screen flicker which I solved by updating factory graphics driver 4256 to 4281,

2- three random BSODs,

3- many "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error messages.

Does anyone had problems 2-3 and, if so, how were you able to solve them?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 6th, 2015 07:00

Hi, 

It may be a driver conflict issue. Try uninstalling both the Intel and discrete video card drivers (you can uninstall them both from Device Manager). Restart the system and install the Intel driver first. Restart the system again after installing the Intel driver and install the discrete video card driver. Click here for the Intel driver download link. 

202 Posts

November 6th, 2015 11:00

uninstall all the dell support items

don't use microsoft edge, use chrome

fixed

276 Posts

November 6th, 2015 14:00

I updated to 4281, as per the suggestion by Dell later in this thread, and it made little difference.

What helped was to turn of hardware acceleration pretty much everywhere, but particularly in Firefox.

Dell is a couple of weeks behind the latest Intel driver, which might fix some of these issues, but we can't install that driver directly:

from downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Driver Version: 15.40.10.64.4300 & 15.40.10.32.4300
DATE: October 16, 2015

SUMMARY:

This driver adds support for the newly launched 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family with Intel® HD Graphics 500 series. This driver also adds some new features and critical bug fixes for all supported products.

This document provides information about Intel’s Graphics Driver for:

• - 6th Generation Intel® Core processors, Intel Core™ M, and related Pentium® processors with Intel® HD Graphics 510, 515, 520, 530, Intel® Iris Graphics 540 and Intel® Iris Graphics 550
  • - Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1500M v5 family with Intel® HD Graphics P530
  • - 5th Generation Intel® Core processors with Intel HD Graphics 5500, 5600, 6000, Intel Iris™ Graphics 6100, Iris Pro Graphics 6200 and select Pentium®/ Celeron® processors with Intel® HD Graphics
  • - Intel® Core™ M with Intel HD Graphics 5300
  • - 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel HD Graphics 4200, 4400, 4600, 5000, Intel Iris™ Graphics 5100 and Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 and select Pentium®/ Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics

NEW FEATURES:

- Support for 6th Generation Intel® Core processors with Intel® Iris Graphics 540 and Intel® Iris Graphics 550

KEY ISSUES FIXED:

• - DCamera preview incorrectly shows 2 displays when setting 4:3 aspect ratio Windows® 10 64-bit
  • - No sound from external monitor after plugging in HDMI cable Windows 10 64-bit
  • - POST logo may not be seen in DP 1.2 panel while resuming from S4 Windows* 8.1 & 10 64-bit
  • - Windows camera preview screen flickers after switch to camera or video Windows 10 64-bit
  • - System may hang on resume from S3 Windows 10 64-bit
  • - Resolution changes to 1024x768 after system reboot Windows* 7, 8.1, & 10 64-bit
  • - Graphics corruption while playing video via Movies&TV and changing display mode - Windows 10 64-bit
  • - Graphics corruption when running 3DMark DX12 API Overhead Feature Test Windows 10 64-bit
  • - System may hang when playing Youku* video in Internet Explorer Windows 10 64-bit

KNOWN ISSUES:

• - Forced Application Scaling feature is not enabled in Windows 10
  • - Green line may be observed when Denoise is enabled on 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
  • - Game may exit if quality settings are set to high on Hitman Absolution* on 4th/5th Generation Intel Core Processors
  • - Luxmark* 3.x may not run to completion
  • - Two active taskbars may appear when DisplayPort monitor attached to the system is unplugged while in extended desktop display configuration
  • - Graphics corruption may be observed in Battlefield Hardline*, Kishonti*, Crysis Warhead* and GRID Autosport* games
  • - Graphics corruption may be observed on Risen 3: Titan Lords* on 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
  • - Lost Planet 2* may show black background on game menu on 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
  • - System may hang in Grand Theft Auto V*, Star Trek Online* and Runescape* games
  • - Display flickering may be observed while adjusting brightness on the main menu of the Rage* game
  • - Cyberlink Power Director 13* application may crash after loading projects when Shared Virtual Memory is enabled on 5th/6th Generation Intel Core Processors
  • - Black screen may occur in DOTA 2, Diablo 3 games and with some 4K DisplayPort displays.
  • - System may hang while playing game with active Miracast session
  • - Cyberlink Power Director 13 application may crash after loading projects when Shared Virtual Memory is enabled
  • - NetFlix* may show corruption playing in Edge browser, or fail to play in Miracast session

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 13:00

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as no. 3 as well. I'm on the Alienware 17R2 GTX980M and Intel HD4600. I keep getting display driver stopped responding and has recovered for the GTX980M is games and for Intel HD4600 in word processing. I've tried uninstalling for GTX980M but doesn't solve the problem. I've also tried different driver versions but the problem persist. I just tried Dell diagnostics and it tells me that my Intel HD4600 has a hardware failure. Any help is appreciated.

314 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 16:00

there is an update i discover for the intel 530. update via device manager.

276 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 17:00

Thanks, just installed that - it didn't appear in the Dell drivers update system (I'm supposed to receive automated emails advising of updated drivers).

Driver is Ver 4312, from 28/10/2015, so it has taken about 6 weeks to get to us.

Hoping it will fix some issues...

314 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 18:00

don't relay on dell to keep you upto date on drivers.

like the killer software. just go directly to killer website and install it.

nvidia the gtx 980m. i installed nvidia experience and it keeps the driver update. dell is like 3 months behind.

so far so good with the intel 530. no crashes for me so far. then again, it's been only a day.

while  you are in device manager, update other components. there are tons of drivers to be updated.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 00:00

Hi here to report my results of different driver testing. I've tried several different drivers and all of them still gave the driver stopped responding error despite using clean installation from DDU.

I've been searching around a bit for a fix and it seems that certain GPU drivers have a bug in it or is conflicting with the OS. In fact Nvidia just posted a hotfix today to address the driver crashing/ not responding issue. Edit you have to download from this link directly as it does not appear in Geforce experience:

nvidia.custhelp.com/.../3812

Even though it says for the GTX860m there are owners of other GPUs having the same problem and trying this fix as well. Here are the related discussions:

For the GTX 860M

nvidia.custhelp.com/.../3812

For the GTX 980M

forums.geforce.com/.../t...fset=6

202 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 12:00

don't use microsoft edge, use chrome

u can probably fix the issue by telling the computer nvidia control panel to run the browsers with nvidia than intel

also if you guys are running apps which use the intel GPU instead of nvidia it's probably the problem..

No Events found!