Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

December 18th, 2015 02:00

Alienware 17r3 Graphics Card 4gb not 8gb - UK

Hi,

Like some people I have received the 4gb version of the graphics card not the 8gb.

Spoke to customer care, there is an issue with the factory and have told me that this has not been resolved yet and to wait a week before exchanging the machine.

Has anyone else been  told the same information?  They offered to refund the machine

Thanks

104 Posts

December 18th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

just received mine today also ! only a 4GB too ?? said 8gb on the sale ?

have you heard anything else from Alienware regarding this ?

3 Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

Me to, I ordered on the 30th Nov and it arrived on 16th Dec. Spoke to tech on Friday and he said lots of people were having the problem, then he sent me email this morning asking me to phone them!

When I phoned them, the lady said I could request a replacement but was likely to get another 4GB one. When I ordered it was a paid for option now their site lists 8GB by default for most systems.

They could have contacted us during the build to say they had a supply issue, but no, they just send the systems and keep quiet. This is FRAUD and breaks the sale of goods act, perhaps they were hoping we would not notice.

The lady today said basically they don't have a solution to the 8gb issue so I could either have a refund or keep it and have a little compensation! I asked why they were still advertising them and she said the techs were working on it! Thing is I have read that others have got the 8GB!

A few pounds compensation does not interest me when I have just spent almost £1800.

Am so tempted to contact Watchdog, trading standards & the computing press. Of course there is always legal action as well, especially for the fact that they did not disclose the lower specification to me.

Whats worse about this whole situation is that it is my sons xmas present and due to the cost his only xmas present.

81 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 06:00

Add another *** off customer to the list. I've used Dell laptops exclusively for 20 years, always praised the tech support which I think is outstanding but the total shambles still going on with this order is breaking up all confidence I have for the company.

I ordered my system on the 26th of November with a 4-6 working day delivery. This then changed to the 16th of December and despite complaining and being put on "priority" that date never changed as they chose the slowest delivery method possible from China.

Now, low and behold they've also specced it up wrongly and given me a card I didn't order.

Either they can sort it out or this machine goes back and I'll buy it off their outlet or Ebay at a cut down price.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 06:00

From what I can see on various forums, the outlet store is going to be overflowing with Alienware laptops with 4gb vram!

1 Message

December 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Hate to tell you this but it should be 8gb dedicated memory!

81 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 03:00

Ooops, I stand corrected. After having read here about all the card problems I incorrectly assumed that the 4GB dedicated video memory stated in the Nvidia control panel meant I was one of the unlucky sods. However, after having checked it seems the dedicated video memory and the actual memory on the card are not the same. *blush*

81 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 05:00

Looking at the device manager it says it's the 8GB card. I'm not an expert and have tried to Google to find out why the *** an 8GB card only configures 4GB of dedicated video memory (added a post in this forum too).

I tweeted the DellCare guys and their response when I sent a screen shot of the Nvidia control panel was that it was the correct card as the "Shared system memory" was 8GB. When I asked why the dedicated video memory was only 4GB tey told me to reach out to AlienWareTech for assistance...

12 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 09:00

Harre,

I have the exact same thing on my machine and can confirm you have the 4GB card.  8GB should be the dedicated, NOT shared.  The 8GB cards will show both 8GB dedicated and 8GB shared for a total of 16GB (although, really you want the 8GB dedicated as that's the fastest memory).

Call for an exchange.  Or keep it and at least get some money back for their mistake.

12 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 10:00

They initially told me that same thing about the shared memory.  Luckily I had someone confirm their 8GB card was showing the correct info.  They should offer you an exchange or money back if you wanted to keep it.  It's their mistake, some people got 8GB and some got 4GB, hard to say how many. :(

81 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 10:00

Thanks. I downloaded GPU-Z and it confirmed it's the 4GB card. I cannot believe that they tried to fob me off with a complete lie saying:

"Thank you for the screen shot as per the order details we see the right configuration sent out GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5 and as per the screen shot we see that the shared memory is 8141 MB. Which is the right card sent out to you"

I've asked for a bloody good explanation because this is bordering on fraud now.

104 Posts

December 24th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

I wrote this in another post on here

"all,

I received my AW 17 with the same issue, but I contacted dell support and they offered me a £120 refund which I refused, I asked could  I receive a alienware amplifier instead they agreed and it will be with me today :)

according to support there is a issue with the builds and they couldn't get me a date when they will be receiving any 8GB cards in.

so customer services will offer you one of two things, full refund or compensation of £120! I would do what I did and request a amplifier !!

best of both worlds then ! desktop power and mobile power, the 980m 4GB is still a very powerful card.

all the best"

81 Posts

December 24th, 2015 02:00

I'd happily accept the amplifier if it's offered. Seems a fair deal to me. What I'm annoyed with is the fact that they tried to trick me (and others) into believing it was the correct card when it clearly wasn't. If it had happened to one person you could blame a support person having a bad day, but this looks more like a calculated attempt to silence people and hope for the best :-(

Edit: So far I've spent 35 minutes in the queue to even get to speak to a Customer support representative. Nice little earner for Dell since it's a chargeable call...

Edit2: Make that 55 minutes in the queue...

Edit 3: Ok that's it 1 hour and 15 minutes. Screw this

104 Posts

December 24th, 2015 07:00

I hear you man, I was fuming when I checked mine! the only reason I checked is because I seen all these topics on here, low and behold I had a 4GB! but hey still games well I was playing dying light maxed out today with a solid 60fps.

but my advice is call them! tell them you don't want the £120 refund ! you want a amplifier to compensate you! or a full refund as the machine supplied is incorrect, they express posted mine and I received today.

just be cool, polite and I am sure they will offer you the same deal as me.

if you get stuck give me a shout and I will send you the details of the lady I spoke with.

104 Posts

December 24th, 2015 07:00

number I called, 0800 028 2660 ( free Phone ) option 5, explain situation then they will put you through to senior customer services, tell them you want a amplifier as the card supplied is not fit for purpose.

also heres the ladys email I dealt with uk_csmb_cc_post@dell.com, woman's name is Sravanthi C S

hope this helps

81 Posts

December 29th, 2015 04:00

Thanks. It was Sravanthi that dealt with the delay of the order in the first place, I'm sure she'll be delighted to have even more issues to help out with.

No Events found!