Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2014 10:00

Alienware 18 charger randomly failing

Up until yesterday I had no problems with my Alienware laptop. Then I turned it on and now every few minutes it acts as though the charger has been unplugged even though it hasn't been. There is no error message, no visible problems with the cord or the computer, it just acts like I unplugged it. When I unplug it and plug it back in it fixes the problem, but then it happens again in a few minutes and it just happened now. I don't know if it's a problem with the cord or the computer or if I just messed up a setting somewhere.

Please help?

May 14th, 2014 16:00

Thank you, but the problem appears to have resolved itself. If it reoccurs I will be sure to contact you.

1.8K Posts

May 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi!

I need you to check a couple of things to help identify the problem:

• Check if the AC adapter light is solid ON or if it flickers or fades out when you connect it to laptop.
  • Make sure you have the latest BIOS A07. Then go into the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly at startup) and check if the AC adapter type says 330W or Unknown. 

May 14th, 2014 13:00

The light remains on and solid, and the ac adapter type is 330W.

1.8K Posts

May 14th, 2014 15:00

Send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread so I can help you further. 

1.8K Posts

May 15th, 2014 16:00

I'm glad to hear that! If you have any other questions let me know. 

2 Posts

May 28th, 2014 19:00

Hi, I saw this posting and noticed you mentioned the power light on the adapter fading out, and that's what is currently happening to mine. It seems to happen when I start playing a game, but seems to work fine otherwise. What does the fade mean?

Thank you.

1.8K Posts

May 30th, 2014 09:00

Hi Pion2099!

If the battery isn't charging or if the AC adapter is not being recognized properly, the fade could indicate a Motherboard failure.

Are there any other performance issues? Check if the AC adapter is being detected correctly in the BIOS and make sure the battery is charging. 

November 29th, 2014 09:00

I know this is an old post but I just got my Laptop yesterday day and I seem to be having the same problem.  My LED on the AC adapter will fade and then brighten. It continues to do the the same when it's plugged in and the computer is on and will occasionally turn off completely. The charge icon will flick on and off constantly. The only time it stays solid is when the computer is shut down and charging. It seems to me like the AC adapter is bad. Or could this be something else?

2 Posts

November 29th, 2014 11:00

It turned out that mine was a fried motherboard. Call dell, they'll run you through some tests, probably send you a replacement AC adapter, and then eventually ask you to send in the laptop.

November 29th, 2014 12:00

I thought mine would be the same but when I saw the Light pulsing even when it wasn't plugged into the computer I figured it must just be the adapter.

No Events found!