Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2013 15:00

Alienware 18x - Volume Control Closes Games

Hello,

I just recently purchased a new Alienware 18 and when I use the Fn + F7 or F8 keys to change the volume in a game it minimizes my game to show an icon telling me what level my volume is. Is there anyway I can turn this off? Some of my games do not take well to being minimized, and it isn't fun to exit out of them and start them again trying to find a good volume level.

1 Message

December 17th, 2013 09:00

I have found the solution to this problem; on a toshiba forum actually.

Run MSConfig and go under the Startup you will see Alienware On-Screen Display, uncheck that box and restart

This will disable all overlay from all the fn buttons

2K Posts

September 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi Hushpuppygirl,

Sorry about the inconvenience. You may try uninstalling Alienware command center by following the below steps:

(1)   Click on start

(2)   Type Programs and features in the search box and hit enter.

(3)   In the Programs and features screen, detect command center and uninstall it.

(4)   Then you may use the below link to reinstall it:

http://dell.to/1660hkx

Input system service tag, select right operating system and download command center from Application tab.

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

September 15th, 2013 18:00

Hello,

I followed the steps you listed, and it worked, however a few hours later my problem was back. Any idea's what I may have done wrong? Or something I changed to make it return?

• 

2.7K Posts

September 16th, 2013 08:00

Hello Hushpuppygirl!

As well you can try uninstalling the OSD (on screen display) and re installing it  again, I have seen that before but it might be a game related issue or configuration. 

September 16th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

I don't think it is a game related issue, It is happening for many of my programs and games I have in fullscreen mode. I also did not have this problem with my previous computer using the same programs.  I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the OSD. So far it is working. I will continue using my computer and see if the problem returns, then I will check back here.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 16th, 2013 12:00

Ok let us know how it goes. 

September 16th, 2013 18:00

Hello again,

Everything was working fine until a few moments ago, now the problem is back. I'm not sure whats causing it to return. I've played a number of games, and changed the volume in each of them numerous times without issue, until now. No clue whats happening. I'm open to doing just about anything to fix this, I'll keep checking back for your reply.

*Edit: What exactly does the OSD do? If I leave it uninstalled and it fixes the problem, what other things would I be missing out on?

• 

2.7K Posts

September 17th, 2013 09:00

Hello Hushpuppygirl!  

The OSD is the one that controls all the function keys if you uninstall it most likely you will not be able to use them.

Now, other troubleshooting steps that you can try will be, update the BIOS to the latest version, and as well uninstalled the video card drivers and install the latest version as well. 

September 17th, 2013 12:00

Hello,

I see, I guess that is not an option. I'll try to update the BIOS and the other drivers as well, and let you know how it goes.

*Edit: My BIOS and video card drivers are all up to date already, so I didn't uninstall and reinstall. I've seen a few people around the net with the same problem as me, however I never found a solution. Considering this is a gaming laptop, and it is so expensive, I'm a little frustrated I can't change the volume in my games. But, thank you for all your help so far.. I'm really hoping to be able to fix it.

2K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Hushpuppygirl,

Request you to refer the below link and try performing a clean boot based on the type of operating system you have which might help:

http://dell.to/14Lw76B

Do reply with your findings.

763 Posts

December 17th, 2013 14:00

I have found the solution to this problem; on a toshiba forum actually.

Run MSConfig and go under the Startup you will see Alienware On-Screen Display, uncheck that box and restart

This will disable all overlay from all the fn buttons

What is happening is the on-screen visual indicator is stealing focus and causing the game to minimize much in the same way using Alt+Tab would do. This has been a common problem for years with any laptops that use an on-screen display overlay for volume, brightness, caps lock and number lock. 

There is a Bluetooth system tray notification balloon application on some systems that controls on-screen indicators that causes exactly the same problem. It can also be unchecked in MSCONFIG (or the Startup tab in Task Manager for Windows 8/8.1 users) and disabling this has no effect on Bluetooth operation. If some users still find this to happen, find and disable that worthless Bluetooth application from running in the background and it should stop this nonsense.

December 17th, 2013 19:00

Thank you for your reply, hopefully this will help someone in the future. Unfortunately my Alienware laptop had too many other issues that I had to return it, as well as the replacement. Perhaps the next Alienware model will have a built in fix for this problem.

No Events found!