Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2010 06:00

Alienware 51 Scratch and Dent ordered from Dell Outlet issues

Last Wednesday (9/22/10) I ordered a well equiped Area 51 Desktop Machine from the Dell Outlet store online.  I also signed up for a Dell preferred account through Dell financial to pay for the machine and save 2% over using my personal credit card.  After jumping through a few hoops the "hold" on the order was removed and now the order is listed as in production and has been since Wednesday afternoon.  I paid an extra $59.00 for second day shipping and the delivery date was first listed as 9/29/10 which is about a week after I placed the order.  Today (Saturday 9/25/10) they updated the shipdate to 10/4/10!? Come on Dell, this is a built machine that was listed as a scratch and dent that is sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  Dell seems to be unable to find it. I'm not sure what is going on.

I have decided that today, before this goes any further, I will be canceling my order (order number < ADMIN NOTE : Order number removed per privacy policy >) and either buying an HP Elite machine or buy all the parts from Newegg and build another computer. I could understand the delay if I ordered a custom machine that has to be built, but this is a machine that already has been manufactured. I am posting this as information for others that might be placing an order with the Dell Outlet store to show that you may or may not get the run around. Remember your mileage may vary. Dell you just lost a $2,000+ sale!

A former customer.

Bob

Edited 9/25 for spelling corrections

166 Posts

September 25th, 2010 08:00

Your not the only one who Dell has lost as a  costumer....I will be spending my money else where in the future.

The declining quality overall  and lack of any  real " tech support"'( or any support after the sale) has made forswear any further relations with DELL..

I find that 80% or the tech support personnel are rude, condescending and ignorant of the machines they are supposed to help with. I've filed a complaint with the BBB.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2010 14:00

Wow, they make it VERY difficult to cancel an order! Was placed on hold for 10 minutes then when my call rang through to the customer service representative I was cut off. I called back and was cut off during the call transfer. Maybe they don't like the words "cancel my order" I then called Dell Financial told them to close my account. Representative said she couldn't close the account as it had a balance owed on it. I asked her how this was possible as my order was delayed and wasn't shipped yet. Told her if she didn't cancel the order that I would be in touch with Dell's corporate office on Monday and would pester whoever I needed to until my order was canceled. She then promptly canceled my order. She couldn't cancel and then suddenly she could. What's up with that?

Some advice to Dell...get your act together. If you don't have something or can't find it...don't offer it for sale. Don't charge for expedited shipping if you are not going to ship promptly. People get mad when they pay extra for 2 day shipping and the estimated ship date is 12 days. Move your call center back to the USA as you have people answering the phone that are difficult to understand due to their accents (not their fault) and don't seem to care much about customer service (my experience). The only positive note here is the lady I talked to a Dell Financial was very helpful and spoke clearly without a hard to understand accent. She did not want to cancel, but she did. Now, what to buy in place of the canceled Alienware?  It sure won't be a Dell.

I will be sending a letter of complaint to the Dell CEO .

Thanks

Former Dell customer.

Bob

Edited to remove objectionable language 9/25/10

Edited again 9/25/10

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Why was the post deleted?

You cannot mention the nether region (profanity) nor can you disguise profanity with symbols.

7 Posts

Chris

Can you explain why it would take 2 weeks to receive an Outlet Alienware Area 51 when one has paid for 2 day shipping and paid through Dell Financial?

Thanks

Bob

7 Posts

Note to administrator:  Please advise me what is wrong with the above post if it is removed again.  I have edited it twice now. I have tried to be fair and not bash anyone in particular.  I am posting my experience as it may be helpful to others.  Also in my first post I posted the order number to show that I am an actual customer.  I do understand why you removed the order number and have no problem with that.  Also I have purchased from Dell in the past and not had any issues.

Thank You

Bob

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

I cannot. I am only a technical support representative.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2010 16:00

If you dont mind me saying, its not nice to comment on people's accents....Its a great big world out there and Dell is a Global entity

You are correct, but when accent gets in the way of communication it is NOT helpful or productive.  I am sure that I have an accent to the people from India or where ever they are at the "call center" and I probably to them am hard to understand.  That is why I suggested to Dell to move the call center back to the USA....so the customer and customer rep. can understand each other.  Have people in India call an India call center.

Also, I have an issue and I am not here to be "nice".  Just stating the facts and my opinion. Thank you for your input.

Bob

Also I have sent Michael Dell founder of Dell an e-mail detailing the issue.  Although I do NOT expect a response from him personally (I'm pretty sure he has more important issues to deal with), I do expect a response from his office.

46 Posts

September 25th, 2010 16:00

If you dont mind me saying, its not nice to comment on people's accents....Its a great big world out there and Dell is a Global entity

7 Posts

September 25th, 2010 17:00

I did not ask why it was deleted, I asked if it was deleted again after being what I thought was properly edited that I be told the reason so I could modify it again and not get banned by the moderator.  I realize my first post was on the very edge of what is allowed. I do think you have a grasp on my problem and frustration now and I appreciate the comment.  I will post a follow up next week as to any response I get from Michael Dell's office.

Bob

46 Posts

Good luck Bob. I was not trying to get you more aggravated. I've had my own issues with Dell and I suspect they are not over. Keep us posted

46 Posts

Your point is now understandable... whereas previously your comment sounded rather rude and racist. Its not a question of being nice or not, its a question of respect to all parties and quite frankly you are the one that asked why your post was deleted. The only thing I noticed that differs from all of the posts I read daily was the comments about accents.

I agree with you regarding the call center issues, perhaps you want to take that up with the appropriate parties.

Good luck and I hope it all works out. I have seen over the past many months that members here are polite and helpful with one another. I dont doubt that people here will help you work through this

7 Posts

September 29th, 2010 08:00

Update:

My e-mail to the Dell CEO resulted in a telephone call from an "executive" support person.  She was very polite and apologetic and offered to give me free next day shipping if I decided to order a different machine.  She agreed that possibly they sold me a machine that was already sold or missing in action. She also had a very thick hard to understand accent, but I am sure she was in the US. I had her repeat several things she discussed with me as I just could NOT understand her .  Anyway I told her I would consider the offer.  I was just about to order all the necessary parts to build my PC from Newegg.com when I decided at the last minute to look at the Dell Outlet site again.  There it was... a XPS 435T with a i7 980X six core processor, 8 Gigs ram, 2- TB hard drives on raid 1, Blu-ray Burner, Soundblaster Extreme Audio card and very poor low tech video card (will replace the power supply and the video card soon). Picked it up for around $1500 delivered.  The processor alone is worth $1000.  I ordered it and e-mailed the "executive" support person regarding the offer for free next business day shipping and Dell has actually got the computer out of the Nashville, Tn. warehouse and on a FedEx truck. 

I really don't think my experience with Dell will be any better in the future as a result of this ordeal and I don't plan on contacting tech support in the future as I usually work through my own hardware and software issues.  I do think I got a fair deal from Dell, however. Remember you may have a perfect experience with Dell or it could be a train wreck .  Looks like Dell got the train back on the tracks. Still I am not all that impressed with Dell's customer service as I would grade them with a D.

Thanks

Bob

No Events found!