Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2014 02:00

Alienware Alpha

Will the Alpha allow game mods to be installed..such as Syrim mods from Nexus? Also, since it runs Windows 8.1, can one install the Netflix app and watch movies on TV through Alpha?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 16th, 2014 10:00

Once you plug a USB mouse and keyboard into the Alpha, you will be able to bypass the Alienware console GUI and go to the normal Windows 8.1 desktop. So anything you currently do in Windows 8.1 you can do on the Alpha. But I am waiting until we offer a 16GB ram offering before buying one.

98 Posts

August 16th, 2014 11:00

Chris will there be more info on the GPU after official launch?  I'm semi interested in these but not about to shell out any money until full knowing part combo capability of the options.  "Custom built Nvidia graphics" just isn't going to help sell the product.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 16th, 2014 14:00

The specifications PDF when released will have all of that information. We are way early in the cycle, no User's Guide, specifications, drivers, etc. It has not even appeared on the internal Training yet. Do some research on Nvidia Maxwell GTX. All I have seen are these links:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha-steam-machine/pd

http://www.alienware.com/landings/alpha/

25 Posts

August 16th, 2014 18:00

Chris M... I'm About to pre order the ALPHA But if you're waiting on the 16 gb version I should wait too. So ill sit on my hands. mean time confirm that I can play pc disc games through the external dvd. twcom m11xr2/m18xr2/alpha on hold/tablet on wish list

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 17th, 2014 21:00

The USB ports on the alpha function like any other computers USB ports. So however you are currently using the external DVD, it will be the same.

November 13th, 2014 09:00

Hey chris wussup u answered a question and said that you were waiting till 16gig memory version available, but even if you get it now cant it be upgraded, it says upgradable, and you can open it, just like rig correct, cause im searching now for memory dims to purchase to pop in right from the jump as soon as I receive it, also how many slots available, and if it comes with 8gb memory now, is it 4 slots or don I need to get 2 8gb dims and replace the current 4gb dims cause there is only 2 slots,also 1 other question what is the max memory upgradable too thx for your reply...

2 Posts

December 9th, 2014 13:00

LOL what do you need 16GB of Ram for LOL I have 12 on my computer and never hit using 6 of them lol Ram doesn't do anything in overkill mode like a cpu or gpu would. Plus you don't need to store all your memory and it can flashed or erased and reloaded. So likely your going for a sotring soluton rather than constantly cycling umm 16Gb of Ram lol Think of a console like a PS3 or Xbox 360 it has 512Mb of or 0.5Gb but it constantly cycles that memory effeciently to play games

December 9th, 2014 14:00

Well if your answer was directed at me being I build and modd and upgrade everything possible I just want to upgrade to its maximum potential even if it's just in regards of multitasking as we frequently do with work and business as well as play also and with windows 8.1 is providing the ability to get touch pad and do a number of things so it won't hurt to add more ram to deal with more multitasking and actualy.ive already popped 8 more gigs in there and being that with work and steam and origins filling.up had quick ram is making a difference in processing the multiple windows and tasks all at once and just cause I like it like that but thx for.your answer hope u get us and it works 4 u merry xmas lololol..

No Events found!