Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 31st, 2015 12:00

Alienware Area 51 R2 Windows 10 sometimes monitor sleeps on boot

I have an Alienware Area 41 R2 with an Nvidia 980 GTX video card.  The motherboard bios are A03 and I am running Windows 10.  Once in a while, when I boot the computer, the computer does post but when it starts to go into Windows 10, the monitor says there is no video signal and goes to sleep.  I have a Dell u2415 monitor.  I don't remember having this problem under windows 7.   The monitor is connected with the standard displayport cable.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

2.3K Posts

October 31st, 2015 12:00

Its probably a graphics card driver issue.  Have you tried downloading newer drivers from Nvidia at all?  Windows 10 has had some major issues since its release unfortunately. 

33 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 08:00

I'm probably a few driver versions behind so I guess I could try that.  Though I don't think I've seen this problem on the geforce drivers forum.

6 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

I have a similar configuration except with 3 GTX 980 cards and Win 8.1. Same thing happens, occasionally: there is no video to the monitor after booting.  Video drivers are up to date.

124 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 11:00

What is your monitor settings? Does it have a power saving mode on the monitor itself? I ask because  that was my issue with my triple monitor display using  all display ports on windows 10. I disabled that setting and never had that issue again (LG monitors)

Zotac 980Ti   (FYI)

33 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 16:00

The monitor itself doesn't have a power setting (I checked the manual).  I can only turn off sleep in Windows.  I remembered that I have a second HDMI cable hooked up to the receiver to my TV so maybe I can try detaching it.  I rarely use the connection.

No Events found!