johnnyboy24
2 Iron

Re: Alienware Area-51

Its hard to say to be honest. I read the manual, and it did mention vents. However maybe one is active, and one is just passive? I'm not 100% sure.

One thing I did read though is that there are 3 PCIe x16, however only 2 are them have 16 lanes, the other is just 4.

PCI Express x16:
Connectors
two
Connector size
164 pins connectors
Lanes

PCI Express x16:
Connector
one
Connector size
164 pins connector
Lanes

0 Kudos
FalconW7
2 Bronze

I have read both manuals, the area51 and Aurora.

As far as I can see in the manuals they have different motherboards

Area51

2 PCIE x16

1 PCIE x4

2 PCIE x1

1 PCI slot

3 memory slots (max 3x4GB modules = 12GB)

Aurora

2 PCIE x16

2 PCIE x1

6 memory slots (max 6x4GB modules = 24GB)

If you use both x16 slots in the Area51 motherboard you cannot use the PCIE x1 slots but you can use the PCIE x4 slot for the X-Fi Titanium. You just don't use all the pins (lanes)

Alienware Aurora - i7 960 - EVGA 970GTX FTW - 12GB DDR 1600Mhz - 1x160GB  Intel 320 SSD - Seagate 2x1TB - WD Black 2TB - SB X-Fi Titanium - 24xdvd burner - Windows 10 Prof 64bit - U2410 - TactX keyboard and mouse - Logitech Performance MX

0 Kudos
johnnyboy24
2 Iron

However in his case, there is another issue since he also getting a wireless card as well. So his order will possibly have to be cancelled so it can be changed 😕

0 Kudos
Anonymous
6 Gallium

Yeah and the strangest thing is that, they said they cannot cancel it because it's already in production. So, I'm even more puzzled as how they will make this happen? If it works, I'm fine with it. If they cancel my order, I'll def be very angry! and how on earth they ordered it with that many PCie card? wouldn't it normally give you incompatibility message? But, then again it could be just a single graphic card with power of two?

EDIT: I spoke to this sales rep and he told me only ALX comes with active venting system. I still don't know because sometimes even they're wrong about these things lol..

0 Kudos
primetimex
2 Iron

EDIT: I spoke to this sales rep and he told me only ALX comes with active venting system. I still don't know because sometimes even they're wrong about these things lol..

Erm ignore the sales rep who 99% of the time have no idea whatsoever - for the record: the real Area-51 AND Area-51 ALX systems both have active venting, only difference is the anodised paint and motorised front door on the ALX.

Now the Aurora systems (the smaller ones and using mATX) is a different matter and it is entirely possible that the non-ALX Aurora has no active venting ...

0 Kudos
primetimex
2 Iron

In my opinion, the Active Venting turns out to be quite important as the Area-51s puts out a lot of heat and they don't have a rear exhaust fan, so the only exhaust / ventilation is the Active Vents up the top.

The Active Vents is also necessary to keep the CPU water cooling radiator cool.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Anonymous
6 Gallium

The Area 51 is either 16,16,4 or 16,8,8.

16, 16, 4 more like it. and Chris any idea what's up with these delays that is going on?

0 Kudos
2xvet
1 Nickel

Here, Here. I also would like to hear about the delay problems from someone in the know. I've just been given a week extra to completion date. Would appreciate any encouraging or factual news.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos