Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2010 08:00

Alienware Aurora 980x Manual Overclocking BIOS settings?

Hi I've been trying to overclock my Alienware Aurora 980x to 4.0ghz and it has definitely been a test in frustration and I need help. It is hard using general i7 guides because the Alienware Bios is either missing various option or they are reworded so that I can't make the link easily(since I'm not that knowledgeable in cpu terms and phrases), and this bios and motherboard behaves differently than the models people use in their rigs. If someone has a stable overclock at 4.0 or close to it I would really appreciate the settings. I've tried messing with it myself but it results in either instability or simply not posting at all.  For reference here's what I tried

Speedstep: on&off(worked at 4.0 for a little with speed step on, prime 95 proved it to be unstable, mostly never posted with it off and I see people with alienware using the 960 keeping it on).

Turbo Mode: Off

Speed Spectrum: off (general consensus is turn this off)

QPI Link(is this right? going off memory): lowest setting 4.8gt i believe

CPU Blck: 25x160=4.0ghz, simple enough right?

Memory Ratio: I got 1333mhz ram so I set it for 8, Do I need 1600 ram to get this up to 4.0? I'd think it would not be necessary for this clockspeed, but I could be wrong.

Dynamic CPU Core Voltage offset: I've tried many things, I read on this forum for the people with the 960 i7 putting this on maximum voltage of +300mv or +3.0v and using speedstep to throttle it down. Made sense in my head and worked them I think but not for me I couldn't post. Tried 180-240 range which gives me like from 1.34 to 1.41~. And It never worked. This might be because of the QPI voltage option though which i'll get to.

Ram Voltage: 1.65, this seems to be the general consensus.

IOH: 1.30: General Consensus

QPI Ad uncore voltage: I read on a post here that people using the 960 put this on 320mv.  And in all honesty i haven't tried this simply because this makes the voltage around like 1.4ish, and everything I've read said to keep this around 1.30-1.35. Then again those weren't alienware pc's and this might be why I possibly don't post. I have put this on probably 260max, i keep it a little higher than the cpu v.core when i was fiddling.

I'm going to try this qpi voltage, and possibly down-clocking the ram ratio to 6(I'm honestly not sure why but I've seen this posted). I'm very new to overclocking and these settings on the i7 are quite confusing, much more so than when I was overclocking my dual core e8400. If anyone has a stable 4.0 or close , 980x or even 965(that should give me some similar information), I would really appreciate it as I'm getting ready to pull my hair out and just stay content at 3.75 with turbo boost

265 Posts

July 20th, 2010 09:00

Well, it seems you definitely did your research. Good job to start with.

And yes, your problem is most likely the QPI voltage. I set mine at about 260-280mv for 3.8Ghz on my i7 975, so about 300-320mv for a 980x @ 4GHz sounds right to me.

The biggest problem is, that the Dell motherboard stinks. It does not have the same options as the aftermarket motherboards do for overclocking. Right now, my i7 975 needs 1.37ish Vcore to boot in this Alienware Area 51 with the stock motherboard at 3.80Ghz. I put my same exact CPU in my custom PC, which has an ASUS P6X58D premium in it, and I have it at 4.20GHz stable with only 1.2875V for the CPU, and its completely stable with prime95 and OCCT.

I would just say to give it a shot and bump your QPI voltage up a bit, and then you can work on lowering your CPU core voltage after you get it to post, and find a stable point.

The i7's are far easier to OC IMO, its just the stock board which makes it completely difficult.

10 Posts

July 20th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for tips M3TH, yeah i did my research it took me one look at that bios to realize i was in over my head. I tried bumping the QPI to 320mv and actually managed to post! Right now my V.Core is at +300mv so about 1.46v, and it definetly shows my temps under load is pretty sickening. So i'm going to try and experiement and see how much V.Core it takes to post and be stable. It seems stable aside from my high temps under prime95's torture tests. Speedstep is helping keeping me underclocked and cool(idle at about 35C~ with it on), but prime 95's full load temp was nightmarish(but it didn't crash instantly like other OC attempts). I definitely need to get a another fan on my radiator. But for now i'm just happy not looking at a black screen heh.

190 Posts

July 20th, 2010 13:00

On my Aurora,I got my i7-975 to 4.0 just by increasing the blk .I have not tried any higher clocks . After I install my new tam I will see what it will do .I set the blk to 150.

10 Posts

July 20th, 2010 13:00

well while I was restarting my pc to try and lower my voltages my pc refused to post so I guess it wasn't very stable after all. If I need more voltage than I already tried to make this stable then this thing is gonna fry. I cut the ratio to 152 so I'm just aiming for a stable 3.8ghz clock which is pretty much identical to the built in turbo mode*sigh*. I just think your right M3TH this mother board and Bios are terrible, I'd complain more but since this is an exchange and far and away superior to my old system meh I'll live. If someone DOES have an Alienware Aurora with the 980x running please speak up and tell me all your settings and specs!

10 Posts

July 20th, 2010 15:00

What are your bios settings? Are things just on auto because all the various settings I have tried have had no success in a stable OC for the 980x, but leaving everything on default/auto is not something I've tried or had recommended. It could be a issue with this processor in general but until someone with an 980x puts in some input that's just my guess. And does the i975 have a higher or unlocked cpu ratio multiplier? I'm locked at a maximum ratio of 25 its not even possible for me to get to 4.0 with a blk of 150.

190 Posts

July 20th, 2010 16:00

On my pc I set everything to default.set the ram ratio t0 8 (running 1067mhz ram) . From there I started bumping up the blk until I got to 150. CPUZ says 3999 to 4002 mhz. I have not adjusted volts or anything esle yet .

I will see what happens after I upgrade to 1600mhz ram in a couple of days

If you want to know more on OCing and what each cpu is capble of check out overclock.net . Those people are amazing at overclocking anything .

http://www.overclock.net/

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 12:00

Small update, I've tried everything and cannot get a stable overclock to 4.0 with the 980x. It might be different with the extreme quads, but I'm having no luck on this thing. I was able to get it to 3.8 and get the voltage to a tolerable amount, I tried many different voltages for 4.0 and I couldn't even post. Seems like a motherboard issue or bios issue, because the going from 3.33 to 4.0 should not take such a giant voltage threshold. If anyone with the 980x has some success getting it above 4.0I'd appreciate knowing your bios settings, bios version, etc... the whole 9 yards. For know I'm just gonna stay content at 3.8ghz.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 13:00

Daingurse,

Technically, your going beyond what Dell validated for the CPU. There are no guarantees above 3.73GHz with the i7-980x.

i7-920 2.66GHz, OC 3.20GHz
i7-930 2.80GHz, OC 3.36GHz
i7-950 3.06GHz
i7-960 3.20GHz
i7-970 3.23GHz
i7-975 3.33GHz, OC 3.60GHz, (Customers successfuly did OC 3.73GHz, OC 3.86GHz)
i7-980x 3.33GHz, OC 3.73GHz

39 Posts

August 19th, 2010 01:00

If there are no guarantees above 3.73GHz with the i7-980x, how is Dell Alienware able to provide us a 'Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 980x Extreme Six Core Processor (4.0GHz, 12MB Cache)'?

Chris, can you provide us a step by step guide to safely overclock our 3.33GHz processors for the Alienware Area 51 ALX? What are you guys doing so different that you are able to achieve 4.00GHz?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 23:00

The other guys will need to post their settings but I think this is close to what they are doing. Write down your current settings so you can go back to them if this doesn't work. In fact, why not post your current settings? Download/install CPU-Z to see what your current CPU Core Speed etc. is.

* Restart the PC
* Press F2
* On the System Setup screen, press F9
* On the Load Optimal Defaults? screen, [press Enter] on Ok
* Highlight Frequency/Voltage Control [press Enter]
Auto, Auto, 8 for 1333MHz Memory or 10 for 1600MHz Memory, 25
* Highlight Overclock Configuration [press Enter]
160, Enabled, Auto, 100
* Highlight Intel (R) TurboMode Tech [press Enter]
* Highlight Enabled [press Enter]
Enabled, 31,29,29,29,TDC 180,TDP 200
* Go back by pressing ESC and select Overvoltage Configuration [press Enter]
+160mv, Auto, 1.10v, Default
* If running a Raid setup, select Internal Devices
* When you see configure SATA 1-6 as AHCI, press enter and change it to RAID
* Press F10 to Save and Exit

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 13:00

morblore,

Please run through this script and make any changes that you did -
* Restart the PC
* Press F2
160, Enabled, Auto, 100

2.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 13:00

I run a 4.277.8ghz overclock with Turbo enabled.

I ran a 4.5ghz overclock that was 100% stable. I currently run mine at 4.2ghz and have been doing so for months. My system is 100% stable up to 4.5ghz. I tried 4.6ghz  but I was gaming for a few hours and got a BSOD. I decided not to play with it so it may even be stable with higher Dynamic Vcore but i can't say for sure since I didn't bother trying it. I don't need a clock that high.

I overclock mine with Turbo because I like the CPU clocking back when I am surfing the net but clocking up to full speed when I play games. I LOVE the power saving features that I payed for. 

You can also keep it from clocking back if you want. You can change ether the power option to Max Performance or go into the power options and change the processor minimum power state to 100%. This will keep it at the max overclock value.

You can read this if you like. It may help you out.  http://www.masterslair.com/365/should-you-overclock-with-speedstep-c1e-or-turbo-boost-enabled/

3833.Untitled.png

2.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 14:00

morblore,

Please run through this script and make any changes that you did -
* Restart the PC
* Press F2
160, Enabled, Auto, 100

My settings for the 980x @ 4.277ghz is in Red

My settings for the Corsair 1866 XMP Memory @ 1866 with XMP Enabled is in Green

* Restart the PC
* Press F2
160, Enabled, Auto, 100
Enabled, 33,33,33,33,TDC 180,TDP 230
+180mv, Auto, 1.10v, +200

1 Message

January 24th, 2011 22:00

I tried to get my Aurora to 4.0 and it did not work out so well so i went back to default, my computer came factory over clocked at 3.7 i was wondering if any one could please post the numbers to get back to that point, thanks. I have a 980X by the way.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2011 13:00

I tried to get my Aurora to 4.0 and it did not work out so well so i went back to default, my computer came factory over clocked at 3.7 i was wondering if any one could please post the numbers to get back to that point, thanks. I have a 980X by the way.

Using A11 bios on my Aurora with 980x cpu, I just selected "Load Level 1 OC settings" and it set everything for me so that I'm at 3.7 Ghz.  I notice that CPU-Z shows that my idle cpu speed is about ~1.6 Ghz with multiplier x12 (that was my non-overclocked default setting for CPU 1), but when I crunch some data, my speed goes up to over 3.7 Ghz with a multiplier of 28 (Level 1 OC setting).  I assume the CPU downclocks when idle to save power, which is awesome.  Is this normal for Level 1 OC?

Try that to get back to 3.7 Ghz.  If you can't, write back and I'll check all the settings and report back.

No Events found!