Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2012 20:00

Alienware Aurora Command Center

I've had my Aurora for about two years now, when I first got it, it was great but now I've had so many problems with the components. First the headphone jack stopped working unexpectedly, then the Sound Blaster card shorted out, followed by one of my two NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240's fan started to grind making it seem like my computer doubled as a wood-chipper, the card eventually overheated and shorted out. Then the other card's fan started to grind! I've been able to keep it working by purchasing a fan that occupies one of the pci slots. But my biggest problem is that back in November of 2011 my computer got hit by a virus (not Alienware's fault) and I had to reinstall Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

I want to overclock my cpu but don't feel comfortable doing so unless I can manage the computer's fans and thermal temperatures. The problem is that Command Center no longer works and upon system start up or attempting to start Thermal Controller I get this message:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Classes.CommunicationServiceClass.get_IsChassisSupportingVenting()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileProcessorClass.ExecuteVenting(Profile profile)
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileRepositoryClass.VentingExecute()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I've been trying to resolve this issue for months now and can't seem to do it. If anyone can help me resolve the issue I've taken PC Technician classes at college and should be able to perform any necessary procedures.

I'm very upset with Alienware with all the failing components and the failure to run Command Center or Thermal Controller. I thought I'd be a loyal Alienware customer but after all this I'm not sure whether I'd ever purchase a Alienware or even a Dell product again.

Here is a list of computer specs to help any diagnoses

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4
Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 18.0 GB 7.6
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 6.9
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 6.9
Primary hard disk 12GB Free (257GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
Manufacturer Alienware
Model Aurora
Total amount of system memory 18.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB
Disk partition (C:) 12 GB Free (257 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (G:) 141 GB Free (200 GB Total)
Disk partition (H:) 4 GB Free (9 GB Total)
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8627
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Secondary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Killer Xeno NDIS EDGE Interface
Network Adapter Hamachi Network Interface

I am also running a dual boot system, and my bios is A11.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 23:00

Looks like you got one of the first ones

First things first ... lets get the MIO-Board working again: Try the "Power Dissipation Fix"

See my post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19365256/19871730.aspx#19871730

Or Dell's here (don't mess with Command Center unless you have already been doing so):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=429811

If you try that a couple of times and can't get it to work (Command Center in Windows), run Dell-AW Diags from outside Windows. Run MIO-Board tests and change lights colors and fans speeds while you are in there.

Report back here.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2012 01:00

I tried the Power Dissipation fix, but no luck.

When I go into the Dell Diagnostic I can't see anything that says MIO-Board. I can test the CPU fan but not any other fans.

When the diagnostic tools does its start up initialization I get an error message saying:

"Test Results : Device Initialization Error

Error Code 5D00:0009

Msg: UUTUSBTM - Device-Initialization_Failure User must reattach unit on Root Hub port 1 and restart test."

By the way the diagnostic tool's build number is: V1364.2

9 Posts

February 24th, 2012 18:00

I tried running the Alienware diagnostic through the CD its build number was V1366.1 but still nothing that said MIO-board. Upon looking inside my computer there is a orange light on next to the power inputs on what I assume is the MIO board.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 24th, 2012 20:00

Power off computer.

Remove and carefully disconnect the PCIe fan (in front of MIO-Board) and set it aside. It will work without it.

Leave side panel off for now.

Turn on computer ... there ... now that should be easier to work on and observe what the MIO-Board is doing.

Right, if Dell Diags can't detect the MIO-Board ... it will throw that error and it will not provide the MIO-Board specific tests. This is a bad sign, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

Yes, that is the MIO-Board. The orange light means it's on or getting power. Does the orange light go OFF during the "Power Dissipation Fix"? How long did you try leaving it off?

With power-off and unplugged, try re-seating USB-1 cable and where it plugs into MIO-Board (if that connection is removable).

This is a normal (non-ALX) Aurora R1 with no louver fins and extra lights, right?

9 Posts

February 25th, 2012 22:00

The orange light turns off after a few seconds of the computer be unplugged. I've done the power dissipation test a few times, at least 30 seconds, last night after holding the power button down for about thirty seconds I left the computer unplugged before I went to sleep.

I unplugged the USB-1 cable and reinserted it, but diagnostics still comes up with the error.

According the the service tag it's a Aurora ALX with no louver fins. I think it's R1 is there a way to check to be sure?

On the MIO-Board it says "MS-4194 VER: 1.1"

and on the mother board it says "MS-7591 VER: 1.0"

Thanks for helping me so far, by the way.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2012 23:00

Sounds like you have an plain Aurora R1 (x58 chipset based)

Be sure the USB ports are not de-activated in BIOS.

See my May 12 post here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19365256.aspx

Try changing the position of the green Factory_Default jumper on the MIO-Board (try in various positions with power cycling ... and even a power dissipation cycle.). See if that will help the MIO-Board to be reset and then allow detection.

9 Posts

February 26th, 2012 13:00

My USB ports weren't disable from BIOS, I also tried moving the jumper to all possible combinations, Dell Diagnostics still comes up with the error.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 26th, 2012 14:00

My USB ports weren't disable from BIOS, I also tried moving the jumper to all possible combinations, Dell Diagnostics still comes up with the error.

OK.

No louver fins on top of machine, right?

9 Posts

February 26th, 2012 14:00

Correct, there are no louver fins.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 26th, 2012 16:00

I can't think of anything else to try. Sounds like your MIO-board is toast ... well, we tried.

Like in this thread:

en.community.dell.com/.../19365256.aspx

Contact Dell-Chris_M and arrange a board swap. Point him to your thread here. Tell him you will do all the labor work (and sounds like you are qualified to do so).

You need:

P0GVP - Aurora Deimos/Aurora R2 Voltaire non-ALX Master I/O Board

9 Posts

March 1st, 2012 20:00

Got my new MIO-Board in the mail today. Installed and everything works great again! Thanks for helping me out!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 1st, 2012 21:00

Got my new MIO-Board in the mail today. Installed and everything works great again! Thanks for helping me out!

Glad to hear it ... you are welcome. Did you end-up contacting Dell-Chris_M or did you go through normal AW phone support?

Now that's out of the way ... did you need help with anything else?

9 Posts

March 1st, 2012 22:00

I contacted Chris and my MIO-Board arrived very fast only a few days later.

Well a few months ago my graphics card were acting up I removed the side panel and left it off for a few months. Just recently I noticed the connectors have become loose. The panel now longer works correctly, I'm going to see if I can get them working, but if I can't is it possible to order a replacement? I tried looking online for one, but only found a silver R2 (mine is black), and a ALX version.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2012 01:00

Be sure the panel is closed all the way. Always turn off the power to the machine before installing or removing the panel (as to not blow the MIO-Board LED control circuits).

The little springy contacts make contact with their respective contact point on the "contact board" installed near the power supply. Each one should look the same. Maybe one or more of them got bent? They should all be perperdicular as I recall. VERY CAREFULLY, bend the bad one(s) to look like the good one(s). They should all stick out about the same. Only bend them once (too much bending and they will snap off).

You shouldn't have to buy the whole side panel. If anything, you just need the little part with the springy contacts on it. However, I can't imagine it being damaged so badly that you can't modify it to work again (unless one of the springy contacts broke all the way off).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2012 13:00

So, what is the verdict?

Was the side panel contact board set damaged beyond repair?

No Events found!