I've got the 1st generation Alienware Aurora Desktop (This model is based on the Intel's X58 platform (LGA 1366 Socket)), purchased as soon as it was available in Australia. Well past warranty and it is getting older (purchased 2009).
My desktop always had problem reading more than 3gb of memory, being a tri-channel, I had 1x3gb Samsung memory factory installed, and I added 3x4gb Kingston tri-channel in the remaining 3 slots. From this 15gb of RAM my system only ever recognised 12GB with 7.9 usable. Never worked it out, gave up trying. This has been a problem since I noticed it about a year after purchase (too late for the 1yr warranty).
My current problem affecting usage is the motherboard has begun overheating. Upon turning the computer on, all the fans immediately start at 100%. I've monitored what's getting hot inside and everything seems normal except the diodes on the right hand side of the RAM (towards the front of the PC). These are getting incredibly hot (especially the lower two, lined side by side. These ones are untouchable).
My computer hasn't turned itself off yet, but after about 2 minutes a burning smell can be detected which continues to get worse. I haven't had the guts to leave it running longer than a few minutes, especially because I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting or what else I can do here.
Any suggestions would be great.
Sounds like you have a bad motherboard or 3-ram set (for a while now).
Only install one set or the other.
Only install into Bank-1. (you can try Bank-2 only, but I don't think that works by itself).
Try to get one 3-set or the other working without over heating.
Download PDF Owner's Manual and also Service Manual. Pay special attention to RAM limits and suggestions, and also see Specs section.
If RAM diodes still overheat, either your MB is bad or both of your RAM sets are bad. If you are sure it's not the MB, you might be able to test RAM one DIMM at a time. Just go to BIOS for reading or boot MemTest86.com ISO
I added 3x4gb Kingston tri-channel in the remaining 3 slots.
Hopefully, this is 1333Mhz
If this won't work native or "auto" ... try turning off XMP and dropping speed down to 1333.
Cheers for the responses, I really do appreciate it. All sticks are the 1333mhz, I haven't touched them since the overheating problem started (I used to swap banks, just run bank 1, just run bank 2) when I was troubleshooting my RAM problem over 2 years ago now.
I'll certainly just try running bank 1 and see my luck when I get home. Thanks for the tip!