Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 3rd, 2015 11:00

Alienware Aurora R3 + GTX Titan X

Hi,

Anyone managed to upgrade their computer vid cards to this?

• 

2.7K Posts

April 3rd, 2015 16:00

We didn't validate those video cards for this system so there is no way for us to assure you that they will work properly but maybe you can request further reference in Alienware Arena or in notebook review. 

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 17:00

We didn't validate those video cards for this system so there is no way for us to assure you that they will work properly but maybe you can request further reference in Alienware Arena or in notebook review. 

Yes, got your canned and not entirely helpful response thank-you on my prior question[1] where I fully understand it would have been quite impossible to "validate those video cards for this system" considering they only came out last month.  Also the Aurora R3 is a desktop so not entirely sure how useful a "notebook review" would be but thanks anyway.

Am actually asking fellow Alienware users as per forum description:

Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users

[1] http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19626253

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2015 18:00

I think Aurora R3 is EFI ... so not truly UEFI and not Legacy BIOS either. Save yourself a lot of problems and get a video-card with Dual-Bios like newer MSI ones.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19606368/20696201#20696201

You should also have 875w PS to help insure you have proper PCIe Power connectors and enough amps. Still, you have to evaluate power requirements.

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 18:00

Thank-you Tesla, some good tips there.

Yes my PS is the 875w.  Will check out the BIOS and cables just to be sure.

Thanks

1 Message

April 13th, 2015 11:00

Hello Beugnen, do you have news about your request ? I have also a Aurora R3 (2011).

Maybe the 980 is a better bet but then, the existing 680 is still a good one.

Thx !

18 Posts

April 13th, 2015 17:00

The compatibility links provided here in these forums proved inconclusive.  Plus I'd rather not trust rough-looking spreadsheet on some unknown website.

I've decided to buy a brand new Origin PC rather than upgrade the R3 and get burnt by the UEFI BIOS fiasco again.  Besides, I wan't to run Windows 8.1.  

No the 680 is too slow for me - the 980 is twice as fast.

videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

No Events found!