Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2012 20:00

Alienware Aurora R3 problems after installing new power supply

About two months ago my R3's power supply stopped working. I finally got around to getting a new power supply and hooked it up today. I turned on my computer and things seemed to be working properly.

When I booted it up, it said it could not locate a CPU fan. My R3 doesn't have one, and I have never gotten this error before. (I have the water cooling system instead.) So I bypassed that by pressing F1.

Once my R3 got to the desktop, the Alienware Control Center gave me some funky errors and did not start up, along with the water cooling system. The main System fan won't spin either.

Finally, for some reason my CPU is running at 100% and I'm not doing anything at all. It just starts up like that when I power my R3 on.

As far as I can tell, and I double checked, all the wires that my R3 uses to connect to the power supply ARE connected. Also, if I need to post the errors that the Alienware Control Center is giving me, I can.

I'm just trying to find out what I need to do to make the CPU Fan error message to go away, and to get my Control Center working again. Let me know if I need to post anymore information.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 5th, 2012 22:00

What version did you install?

When you start AlienFX, isn't the button for Thermal Controller at the bottom also?

Remember, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Don't use Upgrade inside app.

December 5th, 2012 21:00

They are coming from the Command Center I believe. The box surrounding the error is titled .NET Framework though. I am currently trying the reinstall of Command Center.

I'm confused where I find this Dell Diags thing. Is it in the boot menu? Do I have to hit F12 on start up to find it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Ok good ... that is more common.

See edited version of above message. Dell-Diags is the key to testing existing hardware (especially MIO-Board).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

First, when you blow a power-supply ... don't be surprised if something else gets taken-out along with it (like motherboard, MIO-Board, etc.). Even harddrive or just corrupting files on HDD (that can be formatted away).

These messages you are seeing ... are they BIOS or Windows type messages ... or just messages from Command-Center?

Basically, the motherboard cooling fan port goes to the MIO-Board.

See my post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19454040/20128296.aspx#20128296

Paying special attention to "Power Dissipation" fix and testing MIO-Board (outside of Windows) with Dell Diagnostics (PSA - ePSA). Verify that MIO-Board is still working outside of Windows.

I'll try the uninstall reboot install reboot again, but yeah, there are only two buttons on the bottom, Fusion and FX

Edit: I don't remember the version I installed, but it was the only link available from the Dell page.

Edit 2: I found the proper download for my service tag. Trying it now.

It turns out, I am, after all, an idiot. There was one wire not plugged in, and it happened to be the 4 prong wire on the MIO Board, which is labeled POWER 1 or something. Things are working now, but I don't have access to my thermal controller to check and see if the cpu pump and fans are working as they should.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I'm confused where I find this Dell Diags thing. Is it in the boot menu? Do I have to hit F12 on start up to find it?

Yes ...

F12 on Boot

Boot to Utility Partition

Test System - Diagnostics

Custom Test

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

It turns out, I am, after all, an idiot. There was one wire not plugged in, and it happened to be the 4 prong wire on the MIO Board, which is labeled POWER 1 or something. Things are working now, but I don't have access to my thermal controller to check and see if the cpu pump and fans are working as they should.

Yes, no power to MIO-Board will definitely cause problems 

Access Thermal Controller from Command Center group in Start Menu.

After it's running in TaskTray, you can right click on it for statup options.

It seems to be missing from the Command Center Group. The new installation I did changed it... The only options while running the command center are AlienFX and AlienFusion now.

December 5th, 2012 23:00

VICTORY!!!! Oh my goodness, you have been of immense amounts of help tonight. I am so thankful you replied to my thread. I was so dead inside, but you seriously made my night!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2012 00:00

Glad to help.

Enjoy your repaired machine.

No Events found!