Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2017 10:00

Alienware Aurora R3 upgrade

Hi i have an alienware aurora r3 with a nvidia 590. i also have 8gb of RAM and a intel core i7 2600k, if i replaced the graphics card would them specs be able to handle it and would you know how powerful the power supply would have to be? Thanks i am looking for an upgrade on this pc but i am new to this and have no idea what I'm doing, also i have an 8 pin connection would anyone be able to link me a graphics card or tell me if my pc can handle this thanks. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2017 11:00

1. Hardware wise, it does not sound like this machine really needs an upgrade. Why do you think so?

2. This Aurora Release has issues with upgrades in general (like ram and video) so if it's working, I would not mess with it ... especially at your skill level.

3. Many forum users report the Aurora-R3 has issues with Windows-10 (64bit) upgrade and drivers due to BIOS

This is my standard response to users with Aurora-R3 wanting to do video upgrade.

==============================================

It should work if you have 875w PowerSupply, and it has the proper-pinned power-plugs natively.

Since it's Aurora-R3 you better get one with a Dual-BIOS switch that supports both Legacy and UEFI Hybrid.

Aurora R3 is maybe just EFI (not true uEFI) so it can't decide which it needs. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one with a switch on the video-card.

Reportedly, some newer MSI & Sapphire cards have the switch. It was mostly reported/focused around AMD cards, so not sure if NVidia cards display the same issues.

You might have to un-snap and remove the Aurora's plastic video-card air guide if new card exhausts into case.

I also have this from my notes that someone wrote:

Just wanted to say that the R9 380 does work. But you have to buy a hybrid BIOS graphic-card like "Sapphire R9 380 Nitro". The Sapphire cards are able to switch the BIOS boot from UEFI to legacy BIOS. There is a small "switch" at the corner of the card you can use. It works fine without any issues.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2017 12:00

Hello Tesla1856 would this work : www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp

Also the 1st monitor port is broken so it displays green lines I have to play on one of the dual monitor ports but the resolution doesn't work great. So I will need an upgrade soon anyway. Thanks for getting back.

If you have 875w PowerSupply, it might.

Find it here or better website that lists Specs or has a good PDF and look for "Dual BIOS" supporting Legacy-BIOS and UEFI.

www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp
This one does, but not sure if it's the same as your linked URL

BIOS Support Legacy BIOS
UEFI BIOS

January 28th, 2017 12:00

Hello Tesla1856 would this work : www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp

Also the 1st monitor port is broken so it displays green lines I have to play on one of the dual monitor ports but the resolution doesn't work great. So I will need an upgrade soon anyway. Thanks for getting back.

January 28th, 2017 13:00

Thank you so much for your help also does it need to have a black plate or not?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2017 14:00

Thank you so much for your help also does it need to have a black plate or not?

No, it doesn't have to. If they designed it without one, it should be ok.

My understanding is that the metal Back-Plate helps to dissipate heat. It also helps keep the card's main PCB from flexing (which would be bad).

Good luck with your upgrade.

January 29th, 2017 09:00

Ok so I should buy one with a black plate. I found one that supports legacy and UEFI but does it have to have a switch or should it still work.

No Events found!