Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2013 06:00

Alienware Aurora R4 ALX- Overheating Issues

Hello everyone! 

I currently own an Alienware Aurora R4 (With ALX chassis), and as the forum subject will tell you, it's having serious overheating issues. I've narrowed it down to where I'm almost certain that it's an issue with my liquid cooling system/CPU. 

My processor is an Intel i7-3820 (Overclocked to 4.1GHz)

The system is idling at around 70C-85C

Gaming or even running Google Chrome causes it to hit 150C and eventually shut itself off.

I've already tried to reapply thermal paste twice and it didn't help at all.

System ePSA says that everything is running fine.

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi Dremora Joe,

System can become warm to the touch during usage when....

• Using for longer than 10-15 minutes.
  • Watching a DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Streaming online video.
  • Watching or Interacting with Flash Content
  • Playing Video Games or Online Games.
  • Using near a heat source or in a hot environment

Refer the following link for more troubsleshooting:

http://dell.to/17Yc5YF

Also, update BIOS on the computer using the below link:

http://dell.to/13SOUBZ 

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.      
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 30% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Awaiting your response!

August 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi Dremora,

Checkout this article for extra information on this issue. Also, checkout this video if you want to re-apply the thermal compound yourself. If you live in the US or Canada, add me as a friend and send me a private with your service tag to assist you. 

October 4th, 2013 13:00

I have an Aurora R4 with ALX chassis as well.  I had the same problem until yesterday.  The Dell OEM CPU cooler (made by Asetek) is prone to failure due to a gunking-up of the CPU block with the substandard fluid (apparently) Dell chose to use in the cooling loop.  Here's what mine looked like when I scrapped it today:

4276.photo.JPG

I replaced the Dell OEM gunky cooler with a Corsair H80i and so far I'm running at 60C under load instead of the 105+ I was with the Dell OEM cooler.  I'm amazed the Dell technicians and VIPs on this forum haven't figured out this problem yet.

No Events found!