Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2013 08:00

Alienware Aurora R4 - Command Center and windows 8.1

Hello

I updated windows 8 to 8.1 and now the command center and the fan control doesn't work properly.

Before updating the system fan were loud just on first seconds after boot. Now they continue activating loudly with some seconds interval since i log onto desktop.

Just after updated the command center crashed so i removed it and reinstalled and now i cannot control anymore the effects or anything on the command center.

When i shut down the pc some of the led continue blinking like the pc is in suspend mode.

I'm searching since my upgrade for some fix but found nothing.

Anyone with same problem?

Thank you and sorry for my english :P

1 Message

November 29th, 2013 19:00

Ok guys. Went through this same problem. At first My I/O board was showing up with a bang (exclamation point in device manager) So i thought their was a hardware problem. When this happens even if you don't have a bang in device manager, uninstall command center. unplug the 12 volt power supply from your computer, hold down the power button for ten seconds to drain the residual power out from the mother board. Now plug the power supply back in and start up your computer. Install command center at support.dell.com by entering your service tag and clicking on drivers and download command center. Restart your computer. If the lights and active venting does not work or you are unable to read fan speed remove all the connections from the I/0 board and re seat them. Their are many connections so pay close attention to where they go. Make sure Command center is uninstalled while you do this. If the problem still persists you need to replace your I/O board. Make sure command center is uninstalled when you replace it as well.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2013 12:00

Try with this, it works on my Aurora R4:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=P1K0M

31 Posts

December 6th, 2013 08:00

Unfortunately this new driver still does not resolve my issue. My fans still run at 100% on Auto.

Real shame. I am outraged at Dell that it has been 2 months and they have not been able to resolve an issue.

20 Posts

December 6th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

Sorry for my English : I'l French (nobody is perfect ! )

I got the same problem with my Alien Aurora R4 using Windows 8.1 and A10 BIOS version.
Impossible to set up fans speed by using auto mode. 2 fans running at 100% while temperature are at a low level.(PCI and Hard Drives fans)

I have fixed that problem by uninstalling my 'Command Center' program, downloading the special windows 8.1 'Command Center' here :
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=P1K0M

I downloaded the file called App_NT_AWCC305010_W8_W81_W7_Setup_P1K0M_ZPE.exe available since December 2nd 2013.

and I restarted my PC after installing the new Command Center program.

Now, all is OK : Fans are runing with a low speed by using the auto mode.
I hope it will help you.

December 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi everyone,

I finally managed to solve this issue!

Note that I have an Aurora R4 and Windows 8.1
Note that I had already installed Command Center 3.5 and still was facing fan issues.
Note that I make a difference between "reboot the computer" and "shutdown the computer then restart". It's important.

Here are the steps I followed:

- Uninstall Command Center from add/remove programs and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

- Shutdown the computer then restart

- Update the BIOS with the latest version (A10 for me) and at the end, select 'reboot the computer' (the software will shutdown then restart the computer itself anyway)

- Install Command Center 3.5 and at the end select 'No, I will restart later'.

- Shutdown the computer then restart

This is the only procedure that worked for me, although I tried several sequences of uninstall/reinstall the command center 3.5

Hope it will be usefull!

168 Posts

January 24th, 2014 13:00

Hi

I have win 8.1 , when i noticed in drivers that Dell came out with a new driver for command center 3.5 made for windows 8.1 I installed it and everything 

failed, no lights, fan at full speed etc . I tried everything without success.

Finally I called alienware support they told me that they know the problems and are trying to fix it and to revert back to win 7 for now That was on the 23  

of January. The same day I called Dell support and they tell me that they support 8.1 now, the technician took over my machine and said that he will

send a repairman de next day, to my surprise he changed  the I/O board and the liquid cooling system and everything is fine now lights works and

fans are fine.

How come the 2 support are so different for the same machine is a mystery to me

Claude

1 Message

March 12th, 2014 12:00

Claude, that is actually quite alarming.

I'm wondering if the "hack" fix is the new driver made available online - but the more permanent and proven fix is a new logic board.

This scares me, and makes me wonder what's going to be inside my R4 that I just ordered yesterday with Windows 7 (as Windows 8 is not an option still)....

Ugh.

No Events found!