JBurt98
1 Nickel

Alienware Aurora R4 Fan and high temperature issues

Hi, I recently purchased a brand new Alienware Aurora R4 and after I set it up it was really noisy upon start up. I figured this was normal and it does seem to be. But, whenever I start any process which uses a lot of memory or works the computer even slightly harder, the fans become ridiculously noisy. If i am playing a game the audio is almost inaudible even at full volume. I downloaded a program which measures the temperature of my computer, and started up skyrim, which i figured would be the hardest thing for my computer to run. Even on minimum graphics the fan is still as loud, and the temperature varies between 95-100 degrees C, which i know is way to high. Before i ring anyone i wondered if there was an easy fix? I'm not bad with computers but i certainly am not great so please to reply in some weird computer language i can't understand, thanks. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DaDAWG1
3 Silver

Re: Alienware Aurora R4 Fan and high temperature issues

Are those temps the case temps or the processors or the video card? Are you running and SLI set up? Can you provide a little more info on the specs of your system?

0 Kudos
JBurt98
1 Nickel

I don't know, it just says "CPU Temperature (degreesC)" It drops to around 60 minimum also while it's got no programs running. No I'm not running an SLI set up. And are these enough? (used the dxdiag command):

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 10/26/2012, 14:01:22

Machine name: JACK-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: Aurora-R4

BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/08/12 15:27:32 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM

Page File: 4188MB used, 28484MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

0 Kudos

Follow this troubleshooting for the temperatures. You can also try stopping one fan at the time with a pencil and see which one is causing the noise. If none, then probably the liquid cooling system needs to be replaced. If one of them is making noises we can replace it so please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Hi, I recently purchased a brand new Alienware Aurora R4

... and after I set it up it was really noisy upon start up.

... i certainly am not great so please to reply in some weird computer language i can't understand, thanks. 

Welcome to the Alienware Owner's Club.

I suggest you call phone support and let them help you verify the Alienware Command Center and it's Thermal Controller is working. Also, check the Video Card fan speed is on "Auto".

They will also show you how to look at your temps and make sure nothing is over-heating.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

0 Kudos