Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2012 11:00

Alienware Aurora R4 GTX 690 Problems

I got delivery yesterday of my new system. Having huge problems with performance of the graphics card ( 4gb 690 Gtx). As soon as I booted and installed a couple of games etc, I noticed the performance and fps were far below even my I7 laptop at 1080p. The laptop runs a gtx 560m. Reason tells me that I should be getting 4x the speed with a 690 , however I am getting 1/2 the fps of the 560m.

Aside from the speed issue , I am also getting random flashes on the screen and extreme flicker during some games, everything is just slow and jerky, again it makes me feel like its a bus issue.

There is something seriously wrong with the machine setup.

I did the following.

1) Cleaned out all legacy NVidia drivers and reinstalled current drivers.

2) Updated bios from A02 to  A05

3) Tried a different drive running windows 8 with fresh NVidia drivers

4) Altered pretty much all the nvcs setting that may be relevant.

5) Tried the new Nvidia Beta Drivers

The strange thing is that when I run with sli disabled the fps and 3dmark score jump significantly.

I fell that there is something with the implementation of sli between the motherboard and card. Because I got this machine yesterday I do not want to start pulling apart a new machine that should have worked from the outset.

Any ideas or users having the same problems with their GTX 690 ??

180 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 00:00

I am confused. the 690 is a single card, why would it be set to SLI (Dual cards)? I would also pull the video card out, check the pins/connections on both the card and the PCI slot and reseat it. Sometimes these things come loose during shipping. Just some ideas.

133 Posts

The 690 is a single slot GPU that actually is made up of 2x680's slapped together. As a result it runs cooler, uses less power, and less space than actually having 2x680's seperately.

When he is disabling SLI he is basically getting half the performance he should be ( i think)

It really sounds like the card is faulty with all that flickering and such. I would contact tech support, you need a replacement

3 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I have already reseated the card, checked connectors and even tried the other pic express slot to no avail. By sli, I meant that the card was set to run both gpu's , you can disable one within nvidia control center if you so wish

180 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 09:00

You are correct in that the 690 is a dual processor card, but it only uses one PCI slot thus not a true SLI config. I agree that tech support should be called but I would also try a clean install of the current drivers (not beta). Nvidia has an option in the advanced tab of the install to complete a clean install. Of course I have been wrong before in my thought process LOL. Good luck  

1 Message

September 9th, 2012 02:00

I just got a refurbished Aurora R4 with a GTX 690 and the symptoms sound just like mine.

Using a tool like EVGA Precision X, I see my second GPU is stuck at 324 MHz at all times, in or out of games, multi-gpu on or off.  So with multi-gpu mode turned on, GPU1 will sit around 30% utilization, and GPU2 will peg at 99%, dragging everything down.

With multi-gpu off, the one good GPU will run at full speed, 915 Mhz or whatever it is and get better performance. 

The stock drivers performed horrible, probably because of this problem, but I didn't discover the GPU frequency thing until after trying the latest beta drivers (306.02).  Since then I've installed the latest WHQL driver (301.42) and still have this issue.  My BIOS is at A02 though, but it sounds like the original poster has tried everything else I haven't, this really sucks.  Has anyone else checked their GPU frequency?

This is not what I expected for a $1000 video card.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2012 09:00

Hi  Toastermonkey, I got a replacement card from Dell and the machine screams along fine, the difference is night and day,mthe card itself is certainly the root cause, rather than a driver issue, the core speeds you had we exactly the same as I had , down to the running better on a single core. All in all I am happy with the new card and performance is great, however  a good portions of the cards seem to be defective.

6 Posts

September 9th, 2012 10:00

Sound's like driver issue's to me I had the same nightmare you guys are having when I got my r3 with gtx590 I did everything finally tech guy came out replaced the card and it as been working great since the extra warranty with dell is very worth it I never have to wait

September 20th, 2012 12:00

I'm having similar problems with my Alienware Aurora R4 with the GTX-690.

In crysis2 specifically the the screen will go black and the fps will suddenly drop in half i.e 60fps to 30.  Seems like a GPU core is crashing.  and I've had a bluescreen error code 0x116, and eventlogs show multiple video driver crashes usually error code 14.  Word for windows 2010 seems to also trigger the video crash, and skyrim will ocassionally crash the same way.

There is something seriously wrong with the machine setup.

I did the following.

1) Cleaned out all legacy NVidia drivers and reinstalled current drivers.

2) Updated bios from A02 to  A05

3) Tried a different drive running windows 8 with fresh NVidia drivers

4) Altered pretty much all the nvcs setting that may be relevant.

5) Tried the new Nvidia Beta Drivers

I've done all this, plus tried three different WHQL drivers, removed the USB3 card I added, Tried disabling SLI mode and moves the PhysX to CPU instead of GPU.  Ran the Dell PC Diagnostics on the dell support website and it usually says the card fails "Primary Surface Test".  Called dell tech support and after explain the situation three times to some who barely spoke english they agreed to replace the card, Next Business day.  That was over two days ago.  No call, no part shipped, and dell support site shows an open call and shows the part needs to be shipped bu the call hasn't been updated since.

I'm close to filing a "Truth and Fairness in Lending" complaint and having dell take the system back and refund my money to my credit card account since they can't deliver what they promised e.g. a working computer system, or the support that goes with it.

November 28th, 2012 06:00

looks like i bought your system. and i mean YOUR SYSTEM. you returned yours in sept/oct, i bought mine end of oct!

got my R4 with i7-3820 32gb ram 1tb hd and gtx 690 on 10/30. having the EXACT SAME problems. card sucks bad... 3dMark11 4000 score on graphics. should be 11k-17k. Even a GTX 580 benches faster.

Both cores are running per GPU-Z it just sucks. Looks like Dell did a rebox - no real refurbishing. Got a replacement card on order but its been a week already "in production" with no ETA

November 29th, 2012 12:00

I haven't had my system replaced.  Dell hasn't contacted me to come replace the card and last i checked the case isn't resolved and is still open.  TWO MONTHS and they haven't done anything.  TWO MONTHS.

In Call od Duty Spec Ops 2 I crash in several interesting ways including an actual memory error black screen, the speckled screen crash, and the computer just flat out not responding.  I purchased the computer specifically for gaming and I can't use it to game.  

It's an incredible waste.  And it's probably the last DeLL purchase I'll ever make.

December 10th, 2012 11:00

Still haven't done anything on a re-iniation off the support call.

Service Call:161162987

Call Type:Next Business Day

Initiation date: 11/29/2012 12:00 AM

Description:Not Available

Last Updated: 11/29/2012 3:10 PM

Shipping Information:

Note : There is no shipping information associated with this Service Call at this time.

System Information

Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Model: Alienware Aurora R4

Ship Date: 7/31/2012

December 11th, 2012 16:00

Still nothing done on the second call I was promised next day service on, so it's over two weeks and they haven't even shipped a part.

what really sucks is not only did I buy the alienware system, but seperately I purchased a 30" dell IPS monitor and 1TB of SSD storage so I have a $5k system which isn't even usable for the purpose I originally purchased it for.

2.4K Posts

December 18th, 2012 10:00

The tech finally showed up-----with a broken repair part. THREE WEEKS after the SECOND CALL for NEXT BUSINESS DAY SUPPORT.   THREE MONTHS with no resolution of the original call.

Ouch. I understand your pain, been there myself. I'll pass this on and see if I can get extra help for you. Sorry for all the trouble.

December 18th, 2012 10:00

i got a replacement card and it was bad too. took 2 weeks to get the card. forget about it they are having issues with the gtx 690 at dell. call customer care tell them you want a replacement system or a refund. tell them to check the tech logs. you have to escalate it up customer care. i know its a real pain talking to those people but trust me if you are persistent they will take care of you. i ended up sending mine back and got a full refund but in the past i had trouble with my alienware laptop and they sent me a brand new replacement because they couldnt fix it. tell them they could not fix it so you want a return or replacement, they have to do it. good luck. your best bet is to buy an alienware with a crappy video card and guy an evga gtx 690, one that has a warranty too. i hear the kepler gpu has high DOA

December 18th, 2012 13:00

Please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

No Events found!